1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

One thing y’all are forgetting: the best bat traded at the deadline was Jeimer Candelario. Who were the Giants supposed to acquire? The market was heavy with pitchers, not bats. The Mets were rumored to have considered moving Pete Alonso, but that’s about it.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

At the deadline the Giants had two starters. Two.

3. Regan MacNeil

Y’all were talking about hitters, but sure.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yes, we were focused on hitters because that is a mess right now as no one is hitting. But in reality, they needed starters even worse. I think back at the deadline, if they improved with an arm and not a bat, most of us would have said they tried but the team Farhan put together originally was bad. However what we got was AJ f’ing Pollock. Even in a down market for hitters, that was the trade?

Ugh, I just woke up and I need to go to my angry dome.

HanSenSE and Regan MacNeil like this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Here’s my frustration, pull the lens back a bit….last few years, the Braves trade for Olson and Murphy, two absolute studs; Pads get Soto, Snell, Hader; Phils get Turner, Castellanos, Realmuto;…..Giants with all their $$$ get zip.

maumann likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think Bellinger needed to get out of LA. I think he just kept pressing and tinkering and the fresh start may have allowed him to get out of his own head. That's pure speculation, but it seems to fit the results.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did the Giants have the talent to make some of those trades if they wanted? Washington gave up a huge package of young talent for Soto. William Contreras was among the players the Braves traded for Murphy. Esteury Ruiz was actually part of two of those deals. The Padres traded him to the Brewers as part of the packages for Hader, then the Brewers dealt him to Oakland as part of the three-way deal involving Contreras and Murphy.

9. Regan MacNeil

Well, if the Giants' farm system is ass, that definitely is an indictment of the front office.

JC and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Ball man" is probably a better description than "ball boy" in this case.

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Tigers doing their best SOT (think Same Old Lions, except the baseball version) tonight.

Reese Olson pitches no-hit ball through 6 1/3 but Detroit's offense* sleepwalks through yet another game. So he leaves having given up a two-run homer on his 104th pitch. White Sox up, 2-0 at the stretch.

EDIT: And now 6-0. Somebody kill me.

* - 14th of 15 American League teams in runs scored. Only the woeful A's are worse.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Cubs are going to blow this.

I'm always going to be Chicken Little with them, even after 2016.

Draft saved Draft deleted