1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

No I liked them too. And I blame the Brewers two-and-out on not wearing pinstripes at home.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Overcast, dreary day. And somehow the word was out that the game had sold out. The day before (Labine's 10-0 shutout) drew 38K.

If you read enough about 10/3/51, you learn that NYC was absolutely shut down for the day and that everyone was either watching the few TVs available or tuned in on the Giants, Dodgers or national radio feeds. Probably the all-time day for MLB in terms of national interest.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Baseball has a Tampa Bay problem.

The other sites (Milwaukee, Minnesota, Philadelphia) were sold out.

FileNotFound, Gutter and jr/shotglass like this.
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I have to admit, when I saw McLouth's name scattered throughout that entry, I drew an absolute blank. I probably shouldn't have, but his place in time coincided with when I was at a low point with baseball.

Wait till they see the Camden Yards crowds this weekend. Although I think everyone knows it's coming.

UNCGrad likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

People in Tampa-St. Pete just never got used to going to baseball games. The hockey team sells out every night and has for years.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Horrible demo for baseball season sales: Not enough corporate headquarters, lots of transients/tourists, and a huge number of retirees.

7. Bubbler

Would they do better in Orlando? That seemed to be the conventional wisdom going for a while. Are the demographics any different?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Such a big problem that St. Pete elected to give the multimillionaire owners multimillions to build a new stadium there.

9. Bubbler

Well, yeah, they're trying to save it because losing a baseball team doesn't look good politically. Baseball doesn't want the bad PR of not having a team in a major market in a populous state. There's a lot of damn the torpedoes going on.

Maybe a new stadium would make a difference, but as goalmouth mentioned, the demographics there aren't friendly.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Why dont they give hugely discounted season ticket packages to retirees? Im sure a new stadium that doesnt resemble the lumber section of Home Depot will help. The Trop is a carpeted dump.

11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I imagine this is the sticking point. These are baseball owners, after all...

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not saying a new stadium will make a difference in attendance.

I'm saying MLB and the owners don't care. It will make a big difference in their pocketbooks. That's the goal.

Draft saved Draft deleted