1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nope. Pirates in 1979, Phillies in 1980. Same state, same league.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Thanks. That’s what I get for trusting old man brain.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

You read my mind. Next thought was "Smokey and the Bandit."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Throne Rangers

Batman and maumann like this.
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was a coach on Bochy's staff in San Diego. Bochy had to fire him -- it is typical that after a crappy season the front office forces the manager to fire some coaches. But my friend still loves him and won't say a bad word about him.

His best story involves one day when all of the coaches were in Bochy's office shooting the shit. My friend's son was a great player on UCLA's championship team, got drafted and bounced around the minors for a few years before being released -- he hurt his arm when he volunteered to pitch in a blowout game. Kid was a great golfer growing up in the Phoenix area. He got an invitation to participate in a year-long golf program in Scotland. It was too expensive so they weren't going to do it. He was telling the other coaches about this and they didn't even think Bochy was listening. Then he breaks in and says, "Send him. I'll pay for it." My friend said, "No, I can't accept that. It is too expensive. That is too much to accept." Bochy said, "Hey, I got a lot of problems, but money ain't one of them." Friend still turned down the offer.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My buddy's kid played for Melvin and I was saddened to when my buddy told me he was not enamored with Melvin and thinks he's not the brightest lamp in the room. (My buddy is a professional and definitely not the guy living vicariously through his kids.)

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I was happy for Eric Nadel. And remembering Mark Holtz.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Star-Telegram deadline was 10 p.m. ET when I was at McClatchy two and a half years ago. Copy deadline was 8:30 ET.

And it was the LATEST deadline of the 28 papers we did, a half dozen of which are in California. :(

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted