1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The only smart thing I ever heard Phil Fulmer say was when he told his team that to win a National Championship you don’t have to be the best team in the country each week, you just have to be the best team on the field.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In pro sports it really doesn't matter because everything kind of evens out in the end.

But in college it's the difference in making the playoff vs. not. Cincinnati did everything it was asked to do in 2021 . . . until it was asked to do something difficult. :)

Had they been asked to do something difficult a month earlier, they don't make the playoff.

dixiehack likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well that too.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just a note for BYH. This morning on the streets of Paris, for the first time in many visits, I saw a French hipster dude wearing a Mets cap and not a Yankees cap!

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As a kid, when I would hear the “Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio” and “What’s that you say, Mrs. Robinson?” portions of the wing, I was wondering why Simon and Garfunkel were asking Jackie Robinson’s wife.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Boomtown Rats were baseballers.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tim Curry could never whack a ball with such velocity:

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

73-9. That’s all I got.

maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I was coming here to post this. Who could have possibly foreseen faster games resulting in lower concession sales? Definitely not me! I sure am glad games are going faster so now more people will get beat up and worse! Can't wait for the first lawsuit lodged at MLB stemming from selling beer in the eighth inning. Assholes.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Some mush-minded sportstalk host (hello, Greg Papa!) wondered if declining concessions sales might spark a move to go back to the old rules. And this is why I listen to music or news more often while I'm driving around.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I always think to myself when I hear this, "do teams get bonus points for beating the Yankees vs. beating the Rockies?"

maumann likes this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Maumann's post is correct when a league makes the schedule. It isn't when you schedule your own games, i.e. college football and basketball.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted