1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I am such an amateur when it comes to this stuff, but I really learn when I listen to Burton the few times I drop in.

maumann likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bummed that Wallace and Buescher didn't get in. Still not a fan of the win-and-you're-in format. Perhaps two wins and you're in? Would make a win a little more meaningful and would discount fluke wins (even though I'm sure that's exactly what NASCAR wants, Harrison Burton and Daniel Suarez wasting playoff spots).

maumann likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Suarez, Briscoe and Austin Cindric were all in the top 20 in points. Considering the top 16 make the cut, I wouldn't say they were outliers like Burton is or Austin Dillon would've been.

It really sucks for Buescher, who missed the playoffs by literally less than a fraction of a second at the Kansas race.

maumann likes this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gonna have to disagree on this one. Dan Wheldon's family might disagree on this one, too. Romain Grosjean does as well.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
    2muchcoffeeman and Typist Clerk like this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I figure if a driver isn't allowed to partake in scat in the name of winning then it's not really motorsports.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Seeing this on Facebook. Longtime racing photographer Brian Czobat has died from cancer. He did a ton of work for NASCAR.com with Motorsport Images. Really nice man and wonderful photographer. Gone too soon, and cancer sucks.

RIP, big man. Much respect.

7. maumann

Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

From the very-esteemed self-proclaimed media star Brett Griffin, who moonlights as a Cup Series spotter:

9. maumann

I'm expecting the "suspended indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the sport pending completion of a senstivity training program" announcement from NASCAR any second.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Terry Boatass, he's on it?

maumann likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Racer reporting that it's over theft of IP.

The source of the investigation is alleged to involve a former employee of the Andretti Global IndyCar team, who left the team to join RLL in a senior engineering role, and the alleged transfer of intellectual property from their former team to their current team.

“We are cooperating fully with investigators,” said the team in a statement issued on Wednesday evening. “Given that this is an ongoing investigation, we are limited in what information we can share right now, but we intend to provide additional information as soon as we can.”

The FBI is also alleged to have visited the Andretti shop in August to look for proof of possible IP-related improprieties.

A call to Andretti COO Rob Edwards on Wednesday to inquire about the alleged FBI visit to the team’s shop, and whether that visit was possibly linked to today’s FBI appearance at RLL, was met with a “No comment.”​

https://racer.com/2024/09/18/fbi-agents-carry-out-operation-at-rll-headquarters/

Also, both teams have IMSA GTP interests.

playthrough likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted