1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

In looking back at Margie & Luke, the other deaf contestant that came to mind immediately, there was a detour involving a DJ set that they could not do, and were forced to take the other side of the detour by default. I do question if Rob could have done the dancing challenge, between trying to learn from the instructor and then not being able to hear the music. But maybe the rhythms of the shoes would have been enough if he had to be the one to do it?

Anyway. The Expedia ad at the beginning of this ad felt so stupid and forced. BRING BACK MY ROAMING GNOME.
    If Anna Leigh could navigate her way out of a paper bag, they probably would have made the final 3. I really like the final 3 teams, they're all likeable.

Also, Rob, stop making me cry.

Pool Update:
    MTM: Greg & John | 115
    TigerVols: Rob & Corey | 82
    *WolvEagle: Steve & Anna Leigh | 82
    UNC Grad: Joel & Garrett | 67
    *Wenders: Ashlie & Todd | 60
    *Huggy: Robbin & Chelsea | 50
    *bumpy mcgee: Jocelyn & Victor | 48
    *Write Thinking: Morgan & Lena | 39
    *Mrs. Vols: Malaina & Andrea | 27
    *nietsroob17: Joe & Ian | 25
    *tea and ease: Liam & Yeremi | 22
    *Elizabeth & Iliana | 3
    *Alexandra & Sheridan | 1
    *team has been eliminated

FINALE TOMORROW!!! Although no matter who wins, @MTM is the winner of the TAR35 Pool!

TigerVols likes this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Woo hoo!

Wenders, WriteThinking and TigerVols like this.
  3. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Interesting race chat between Greg/John and Rob/Corey, filmed after this past leg. Two excellent teams. Looking forward to the finale.

Wenders likes this.
  4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I kind of wish they'd call it something besides hurling.:) Not being familiar with hurling -- the shots I saw of the TAR contestants whacking the ball is the extent of my knowledge -- I only think of one thing every time I hear the sport's name.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Greg and John are good guys, but I'm bummed. I like seeing the underdogs prevail, like either of the other two final teams. I'm tired of the token "pretty boy" teams winning.

I hope the the show lives long enough to get Rob and Corey back on an all-star or redemption season.

Wenders likes this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Taking my victory lap around the top of the Space Needle. lol

Nice finish by Greg and John to seal it.

I would have rather the Space Needle challenge been one where they had to spot something in the distance instead of one team member walking to the clue box and the other just taking a walk. They've done it before, where they have to spot a billboard, number sequence or game flag to figure where they are going next.

Wenders likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

You could tell that Corey was disappointed to finish third. But their getting a little lost/behind on the drive to the final challenge sealed it.

For most of the night, I thought Joel and Garrett might actually pull it off and win the whole thing! But Greg and John were just too young, too strong, too good and too consistent all race long. They won the most legs, were never far behind the leaders when they didn't win the legs, and their strength and athleticism and cool handling of any issues made for a tough combination to beat. They deserved to win, especially after rallying at the end on the final leg, when they actually had more issues/problems than any other time in the race. I was surprised it took them so many tries to get the glass-blowing right, and then they struggled with the band-instrument set-up, too.

And they still won! They deserved it, and were good competitors and good sports throughout, so I can't complain. I liked them; like seemingly everyone else, though, I was just kind of rooting for Rob and Corey to finish on top, that's all. But this might've been my favorite final three of any race.

It was an impressive, enjoyable season all the way around and a great edition of The Amazing Race franchise.

TigerVols, Wenders and UNCGrad like this.
  8. WriteThinking

And look at you, UNCGrad! Going from your team being eliminated in the first week, to it finishing second in the whole race, giving you a third-place (well, fourth with the tie) finish in the SJ pool.

You don't see that too often! I guess you took a lesson from Joel and Garrett!:)

Wenders and UNCGrad like this.
  9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Joel & Garrett had the final challenge except for that one kayak swap from the beginning! I'm sure they're frustrated. I want to see both them and Rob & Corey on an Unfinished Business series. Just reiterating what everyone else has said: three very strong, very likable final teams.

I thought Greg & John were done for when they couldn't find that amp piece or the power cords.

Also Rob made me cry at the end. Just one last time.

See y'all in March!

FINAL POOL STANDINGS:
    MTM: Greg & John | 128
    *TigerVols: Rob & Corey | 83
    *WolvEagle: Steve & Anna Leigh | 82
    *UNC Grad: Joel & Garrett | 69
    *Wenders: Ashlie & Todd | 60
    *Huggy: Robbin & Chelsea | 50
    *bumpy mcgee: Jocelyn & Victor | 48
    *Write Thinking: Morgan & Lena | 39
    *Mrs. Vols: Malaina & Andrea | 27
    *nietsroob17: Joe & Ian | 25
    *tea and ease: Liam & Yeremi | 22
    *Elizabeth & Iliana | 3
    *Alexandra & Sheridan | 1
    *team has been eliminated

TigerVols, tea and ease and Huggy like this.
  10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I too want to see the second- and third-place teams in a second-chance season. Both were so likeable.

Wenders - Thanks again for running the pool, and see you in March!

tea and ease likes this.
  11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Good news, bad news:

The good news is that TAR returns on Wednesday. The bad news? It again starts at 9:30 p.m. Eastern, which is pretty much bedtime for me.

Looks like I'll be spending time again on CBS.com since I don't have a Paramount subscription.

Definitely looking forward to this season!

Draft saved Draft deleted