1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

"Elizabeth Taylor...I don't know who that is...but her house?" oh lord.

Seeing Danny and Angie so excited when they jumped all the teams that got lost. Also, how lost were the Cousins?

Yay, another week where no SJer gets eliminated!

Pool update:
    tea and ease - Rod & Leticia | 45
    MTM - Ricky & Cesar | 23
    TigerVols - Derek & Shelisa | 21
    bumpy mcgee - Juan & Shane | 19
    Wenders - Yvonne & Melissa | 16
    Mrs. Tiger Vols - Danny & Angie |14
    UNC Grad - Michelle & Sean | 11
    Huggy - Anthony & Bailey | 11
    WriteThinking - Sunny & Bizzy | 9
    WolvEagle - Amber & Vinny | 8
    nietsroob17 - Kishori & Karishma | 7
    *Chris and Mary | 4
    *Maya & Rohan | 1

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Much like the one season where they had to look at a picture of Jackie O. and figure out who it was to know a hotel room was named after her in Cambodia.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I know, right?

I'd think you'd be hard-pressed to come up with two other women on Earth, ever, who were more globally known and recognized than Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor.

4. Wenders

How many times can one team switch detours?

Also I really want that Colombian breakfast.

Not a fan of the lack of travel-on-your-own aspect but maybe where they were going in Colombia was so obscure that it was just easier to take everyone at once? I also thought it was super cool that Juan was born there and this was hist first trip back since his family immigrated.

Ricky and Cesar absolutely killed this leg. They are a fun surprise this year. And so did Amber & Vinny. That road block...Vinny absolutely KILLED it.

Pool update:
    tea and ease - Rod & Leticia | 52
    MTM - Ricky & Cesar | 44
    TigerVols - Derek & Shelisa | 30
    bumpy mcgee - Juan & Shane | 27
    Wenders - Yvonne & Melissa | 22
    WolvEagle - Amber & Vinny | 18
    Mrs. Tiger Vols - Danny & Angie |17
    WriteThinking - Sunny & Bizzy | 14
    UNC Grad - Michelle & Sean | 13
    *Huggy - Anthony & Bailey | 12
    nietsroob17 - Kishori & Karishma | 11
    *Chris and Mary | 4
    *Maya & Rohan | 1
    *team has been eliminated

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

That rebus puzzle today showed me I need to go back and watch some more old episodes of "Classic Concentration" with Alex Trebek.

And the one who thought the "E" was an "ohm" figure? o_O

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Just watched this week's episode - I catch up with it on Saturday afternoons at CBS.com. 9:30-11 on a weeknight is too late for those of us who work days.

Anyhow, I agree with previous criticism that the 90-minute episodes have been dragging, but I didn't think it did this week - the editors did a good job of not having lulls. It didn't feel like 90 minutes.

I was bummed to see the cousins get knocked out. They're so likeable, but almost all of the teams are. My team, Amber & Vinny, can be annoying, though - too much bickering and too little self confidence.

And, I was thinking that Cesar sounds like someone I've met, and I figured it out - the guy who used to own the cellphone store at the end of my street. :)

7. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

I agree Amber and Vinny bicker too much. It's boring drama. Last season had the most likeable field of contestants ever, IMO. Rod just jumping over that fence was fierce... I'm sorry about his missing nut! I'm surprised to see Ricky and Cesar faring so well, my own bias I suppose, that they don't "appear" in shape or athletic enough. Good episode overall.

8. WriteThinking

There have been a couple of teams that have been surprising, in my opinion. Ricky and Cesar, yes, but also Yvonne and Melissa, and Danny and Angie. With their second-place finish, Juan and Shane finally performed in accordance with how I thought they'd do at the start of the race. I guess we'll see if they can continue to be top-tier finishers.

Like WolvEagle, I was not happy to see the cousins eliminated. I liked them and would've been pleased to see them get some payoff for their efforts this week.

9. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Who would everyone NOT be disappointed to see eliminated this next episode? For me it’s the firefighters.

10. WriteThinking

I'm not crazy about my team, either!:) I mean, they're OK, but I haven't really warmed to them. And I don't see them winning, or even as top-three material, so I wouldn't care if they got eliminated.

The thing is, I don't think there's been anybody who has really separated themselves from the pack this season, and that you can just kind of tell they're likely to be there at the end, racing among the top three teams. Rod and Leticia and Ricky and Cesar have done well, but I don't see either team as unbeatable -- as just too strong, or too good, over the long haul.

11. Wenders

Sorry y'all, been a crazy month at work! I finally blew through two eps tonight (just to be immediately behind again).

I really hate the lack of non-elim legs. I also am missing airport drama. I'm not sure why there is none - if they're going to some more remote places that don't have great travel options?

Ricky and Cesar are really benefiting from speaking Spanish through South America, so I wonder if their dominance will continue once they're not in Spanish-speaking countries? Also, the two older couples - Rod & Leticia and Derek & Shelisa have been my surprises! They are two teams that really don't back down at all.

Pool update:
    MTM - Ricky & Cesar | 83
    tea and ease - Rod & Leticia | 64
    bumpy mcgee - Juan & Shane | 41
    TigerVols - Derek & Shelisa | 37
    WolvEagle - Amber & Vinny | 34
    Mrs. Tiger Vols - Danny & Angie |31
    Wenders - Yvonne & Melissa | 30
    WriteThinking - Sunny & Bizzy | 20
    *UNC Grad - Michelle & Sean | 14
    *nietsroob17 - Kishori & Karishma | 14
    *Chris and Mary | 4
    *Maya & Rohan | 1
    *team has been eliminated

12. Wenders

I want steak now.

Also, screw you TAR for removing non-elim legs. I would have gladly kept Derek and Shelisa around longer. Can they be my grandparents?

Now taking bets on how long it takes for the "alliance" to wither and break down. It's weird to create one at the halfway mark in the Race, as opposed to leg 1 or 2.

Pool update:
    MTM - Ricky & Cesar | 90
    tea and ease - Rod & Leticia | 70
    bumpy mcgee - Juan & Shane | 59
    WolvEagle - Amber & Vinny | 39
    *TigerVols - Derek & Shelisa | 38
    Mrs. Tiger Vols - Danny & Angie |35
    Wenders - Yvonne & Melissa | 33
    WriteThinking - Sunny & Bizzy | 22
    *UNC Grad - Michelle & Sean | 14
    *nietsroob17 - Kishori & Karishma | 14