1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baseball Thread Titled IX - play fair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Aug 3, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you read SI's leading off section every week, half the stuff seems like it could have come from here.

Could be conicidence, but I'm guessing this site gets read a lot at SI.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

After Tony Phillips goes 3 for 3 with 2 homers, double and walk for 11 total bases yesterday, he goes 0 for 5 today. Lovely.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It should be interesting. The Twins don't have nearly as good a record outside the Hefty Bag Dome. But the Twinkies do have Torii Hunter back, which should help them.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

According to SportsCenter, David Wright just signed for 6 years, 55 million.

5. Songbird

And now he'll go into a 3-for-47 slump.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Baseball Tonight is showing the top 3 Web Gems from each franchise's history.

7. Songbird

Back to that Mauer feature in SI ... with all the talk of this soft .370 average, I would've really enjoyed reading quotes from people about that topic, and to break down his .370 average for what it means, what it's worth.

To be honest, I wouldn't give a shit if 120 of his 125 hits were bingos. A hit's a hit. No, he's not a power hitter. Not yet at least. But the story is him being a .370-hitting catcher. There was very little on that aspect.

8. Songbird

Not because he's on my roto team, but I like John Maine. He fell behind 2-0 to Nunez just now and threw 2 straight moving fastballs, fouled off. Then he punched him out swinging on a change-up. Maine has nice (deceiving) stuff.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Xan --
    I think the really interesting thing is that he's got a 15-point lead in the BA race and is only eighth in hits.

He's got the best batting eye I've ever seen on a consistent basis.

I honestly don't remember the last time he swung at an obvious ball. I'm sure it was a breaking pitch from a tough lefty, but I don't remember it.

10. Songbird

Maine just faced Utley, Howard and Burrell and made them look like tissue paper.

If the stats are correct, he's up to 20 straight scoreless innings. Not bad for an unheard-of rook.

11. viamsp

viamsp Member

As of right now, I'd have much more confidence in him starting a Game 3 than El Duque or Trachsel. I'm convinced he's not the mirage Soler was for that string of starts. He just seems to have better stuff and more, for lack of a better word, moxie.

12. Songbird

Definite moxie.

Draft saved Draft deleted