1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baseball Thread Titled IX - play fair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Aug 3, 2006.

1. viamsp

viamsp Member

I know that wasn't a great throw by Mathieson, but Howard's gotta become a better fielding first baseman. He's made a lot of mistakes he shouldn't have this year

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Seems like he just dropped it. Not like it sailed over his head.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No talk of Papelbon? Where art thou Lou Merloni? Anyway, I do believe today is another example of why people are crazy to say young Paps is better than Rivera. Some yahoo told me the other day he would rank present closer like this: 1. Papelbon, 2. Jenks, 3. Putz, 4. Rivera.
    Anyway, pretty tough loss for the Sox and suddenly two games out.

4. viamsp

viamsp Member

From the games I've seen him in this year, it just doesn't seem like he has good footwork around the bag.

By the way, Jose Reyes owns the Phils. I'd love for ESPN to pull up his numbers against them, but they have to be tremendous. He wears them out.

5. Songbird

Pap smeared.

6. Songbird

As to be expected by a young pup after his team just scored 7 runs in one inning, Maine lost his edge and walked 2 guys. But he induced a fielder's choice, and then with runners on the corners and falling behind 3-1 to Rollins, got Rollins to fly out.

Moxie.

Shutout streak: 22 innings.

7. viamsp

viamsp Member

This is the first Maine start I've been able to see, but watching him confirms what I inferred from listening to his recent starts: He's got what it takes to be a factor this year and next.

8. Songbird

A little trouble now: Utley singles, Howard walks, Burrell at the bat ... one out.

9. Songbird

Makes Burrell look like poopoo on a check-swing tailing-in high hard one. 2 outs.

10. Songbird

Strikes out Rowand on 3 pitches.

Shutout streak: 23 innings.

11. viamsp

viamsp Member

He keeps making pitches with guys on.

12. Songbird

Lieberthal just cocked Ring.

Draft saved Draft deleted