1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baseball Thread Titled IX - play fair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Overrated, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No doubt. I'm not sure if he can keep this pace -- I presume he won't -- but it's exactly what the Mets needed from him.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wish the Brewers would stop anally raping me with hope.

They get within four games of the wild card -- granted, a god awful dog ass wild card -- then they lose two to the Cardinals and Ben Sheets, who was kicking ass, gets hurt again.

Damn. They're lingering on longer than Terry Schiavo. And the worst part, is that in this metaphor, I'm Schiavo's parents!

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I haven't paid too much attention to the Brew Crew, but what happened to Doug Davis. He was pretty solid last year and this year is rocking a 5.00 ERA. If he could figure it out down the stretch they could do pretty well I would guess with him and Capuano, especially if Sheets could get healthy.

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

At least the Brewers use vaseline. Try being a Mariner fan. Get in contention...play the A's.

One split is costing the Mariners a legitimate playoff push (one to 1 1/2 years ahead of schedule): The A's. If they were playing .500 against Oakland they'd be in first AND the wildcard race.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Gary Majewski, who was sucking royally, has been placed on the DL.

Buster Olney is going to have to take down his Wayne Krivsky shrine.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

But that's OK, the Reds just got Ryan Franklin from the Phillies.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH Suckers!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, good move for the Reds.

/phanboy looser

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Liriano pitched just four innings and 67 pitches against the Tigers. Not sure if he was lifted because of arm trouble or because he'd given up four runs and 10 hits.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm watching the game. He got pulled because the Tigers are beating him like Ike beat Tina.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Very true. It's the first time he's given up more than eight hits since the end of April.

It could be worse too. The Tigers left runners in scoring position in the first and second.

10. Bubbler

My observation from afar is that Davis' control has escaped him. His strikeout-to-walk ratio was basically even for a while. Don't know where its at now.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Bubs, Davis' K/BB ratio: 1.32/1. Not good.

I think you're right that his control is gone. I always worried about him because even he admits that he puts himself into a lot of jams. He'll cruise for a couple of innings and then find himself with runners at first and third with one out. Yost and Maddux eventually learned that Davis would find a way to pull himself out of those jams, but not this season. He plays with fire so often that when he isn't on, he is very prone to being torched. I hope this year is simply an aberration.

12. Bubbler

Based on his career to this point, I'm thinking his good years were the aberration.

Draft saved Draft deleted