1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best headline ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I once as a very young editor sleepily made a dummy head on a story with a picture of a young woman on it that was “XXX Head Here” that I realized quickly would’ve gone real bad for me if it had gotten through the editing process somehow.

I started using long strings of Z’s from that point forward.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Rookie.

You need some ascenders and descenders.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I was and remained a rookie. That cool $9 an hour and free 20 hours of overtime I gave them every week was coming my way whether it looked pretty or not. I needed the extra time to write overwrought high school gamers nobody read.

Justin_Rice likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Back in the old pasteup days we had a headline that . . . literally fell off the page as it was being carried to the plate guys.

They didn't notice, and the last thing editorial saw was a page proof of a headline that was where it should be. Next morning we wake up to a blank space above the photo.

Of course, it was the lead sports story head, too.

Biggest embarrassment since our 1984 football secti0n had "1983" in the folios. Neither Big Brother nor anyone else was watching that closely enough.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

SixToe, maumann and I Should Coco like this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

SixToe, swingline and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Topeka Capital-Journal years ago
    Topeka High School Trojans defeat Topeka Seamen.
    Yep.

TROJANS STOP SEAMEN

SixToe, swingline and Woody Long like this.
  8. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Wisconsin's governors enjoy line-item veto power. They have often deleted words and letters from legislation to alter or even reverse a bill's impact. One year Gov. Tommy Thompson made heavy use of the line-item veto. This headline in the Green Bay Press-Gazette drew some newsroom horselaughs.

Tommy's pen is a sword

SixToe and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Subhed: Extra-large defensive barrier never leaks; offense enjoys smooth penetration

(Sorry.)

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Booooooo!!!!!!

Twirling Time likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted