1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best movie of the year... I still can't believe it...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 15, 2007.

1. duckncover

duckncover Member

Sorry, but this is a really silly argument. Michael moore can't bring down the massive Health Care cabal in this country, any more than George Soros or George Clooney could. It takes the people forcing their representatives to do what's right. Moore is using the one tool available to him to call on us to action. You can piss and moan about him not doing anything, but that's just a copout and I hope you know it. The fact is he HAS done something.

Further, he has NOT done something else: Allow the current system to continue without comment. That's a lot more than the politicians in this country seem capable of.

2. IU90

IU90 Member

I've heard the same. And that Moore grows up in this one and drops a lot of the schtick that made his earlier docs easy to bash. I'm eager to see it.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Michael Moore's money isn't going to fix the problem. Neither would Bill Gates's money or Warren Buffett's money. The insurance companies and the pharmaceutical companies could solve the problem, but that would mean THEM giving up some of THEIR money. And that ain't happening. If we could direct some of the vitriol we direct toward oil companies toward the insurance companies, maybe we'd see some movement.

Michael Moore's money wouldn't fix the problem. By itself, neither will his movie. But if we (the collective American we) can gain some understanding of the problem through Moore's movie, perhaps we can create the political will to fix it.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bingo.

Great post.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Anyone wanna post an easy way to get/see this?

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

You could wait 10 days and buy a theater ticket. ;-)

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't pay for health care because my employer takes care of it. I pay a very small amount for my wife and future kid.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I still will, but I get impatient. Especially with all the discussion about it on here.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm assuming Hoops is referring to military health care and as someone who grew up as a military brat, I can attest that the "socialized" health care they receive is outstanding...

If there was a presidential candidate who was serious about doing this, I would probably support them...

As Moore noted in the movie, while Hillary may have tried to do this at one point, she is now clearly in the pocket of the health care industry. She took more in campaign contributions from health care companies than all but one senator.

Again... Tremendous film... Go see it...

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Indeed. All the wealthy folks who need transplants are flying there to have their surgeries done.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Health care is one of the great blind spots of America. Socialized medicine is one of those things that seems so patently obvious to most sentient human beings, but the teat-sucking adoration of capitalism in this country actually convinces politicians to resist the idea. I mean, it's fucking astonishing, really. My favorite concern is cost. <i> Our tax dollars would have pay for this! </i> Well, fucking A right it would. And if the government gave America a choice between health care and War on Drugs (by far our costliest war, in lives and money) just see how'd vote.

I, too, have seen Sicko. It has a ton of I-can't-believe-this facts and moments in it…it just seems so damn unlikely that we're really that stupid.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Maybe you would, but would the poor people who live in the Mississippi Delta? Do they have the same belief that their health care is of good quality? Would the poor people of the Mississippi Delta be better off - let's leave Cuba out of this because their government is one of the most repressive in the world - in Western Europe?

I realize the question and implication isn't pleasant, but it needs to be asked.

Draft saved Draft deleted