1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My sister works at a diabetes clinic. The clinic ahs hundred patients weight loss medication. The doctor at the clinic thinks the new weight loss drugs will largely eliminate bariatric surgery. I would think that anyone considering bariatric surgery should try medication first.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A one moth update. I have lost about eight pounds. I am surprised I have not lost more. My appetite has been greatly reduced.

For example, I have long ordered at least a 14 inch pizza all my life. My wife would usually have 2.5 pieces and I would eat the other 5.5 pieces. I recently ordered a 14 inch pizza and struggled to eat three pieces. I don't eat "seconds" anymore.

I have been able to cut down on junk food because I am not hungry as much. If I am in a restaurant I am no longer hungry after I eat the regular meal so there is no way I want desert. In fact I now struggle to finish the regular meal. I can skip the bread and am going to stop ordering soup, .

I waited four months to get the medication. As a result my prescription got confused and I incorrectly started on the one millimeter dose rather than the .25. My doctor told me normally when that happens patients have more severe side effects such as vomiting. I felt very mild nausea for two weeks but after that felt fine. I have another months supply of the 1,0 but after that the plan is to elevate my dose to 2.4.

The best part so far has been that I no longer feel that I no longer have to battle with my appetite. When I was 10 my parents became concerned about my weight. Since then I have felt guilty I ate something. But now I feel like my appetite is under control and I eat guilt free. I may not be losing weight as fast as I want but I am not worried about going on a binge and gaining 20 pounds.

WriteThinking, britwrit and Dog8Cats like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The older I get, the less I feel a need to eat. If I get up early I always try to eat a breakfast because that is important, but my work hours are almost always evenings so I end up stopping in at the convenience store for jalapeño cheesesteak sliders (which are the bomb) and energy drinks. There is a Starbucks nearby but not a fan.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Slow and steady wins the race when it comes to weight. Just keep going. It'll happen.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I've been on Ozempic for nearly a year, started at .25 mg, went to .50, then 1.0 and now at 2.0. I have had it back ordered twice and the latest package didn't arrive before I left on a 2-week vacation. All of that you say is what I've felt. Sometimes just one meal a day. Just not hungry. The most irritating symptom is indigestion -- not acid indigestion, not stomach discomfort -- just the feeling that the food in my stomach is just sitting there. Some erratic intestinal days -- can't crap or crap too much. But I've lost 25 pounds. My weight stayed level on a 2-week cruise. Amazing.

LanceyHoward likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted