1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Buffalo News seeks Executive Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JoshBarnett, Jan 29, 2024.

1. JoshBarnett

JoshBarnett Member

This is the spot that I am vacating. Happy to answer any questions. Feel free to message me.

The Buffalo News seeks an executive sports editor to lead its award-winning team.

Sports isn’t just a pastime in Buffalo, it’s an obsession. This is a big-league sports town that loves its Bills and Sabres. Loyal fans crave daily information about what’s happening on and off the field of play.

And the Bills and Sabres aren’t the only game in town: We are home to the NLL-champion Bandits and the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons. Big 4 college athletics have a passionate following, and there are more than 100 high schools within our coverage area. Bottom line: There is plenty to cover here.

The ideal candidate will be a digitally savvy leader with a proven track record of growing audience with unique sports coverage. Using analytics and experience, this editor will help our talented staff elevate their storytelling and break news.

The successful candidate will be an innovator who embraces change and has a keen interest in product development. This leader isn’t afraid to experiment with multimedia storytelling and has the ability to reinvent coverage to keep readers engaged. In this role, the ability to manage change and effectively deploy resources is as important as knowing about the Electric Company and the French Connection.

The executive sports editor is also a key member of the newsroom leadership team who will be expected to collaborate with colleagues in other departments.

We strive to hire talented and dedicated people who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. People of all backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.

Interested? We want to hear from you. When applying, please share examples of successful audience and digital strategies that lead to reader growth.

You can apply and get more info through the Lee Enterprises portal: Job opportunity at Lee Enterprises - Executive Sports Editor

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Congrats on your move, or retirement, or whatever. Best of luck.

As a member of the great 716 diaspora, I read the News every day to keep up with my hometown (and still favorite) teams. You guys do a super job.

3. JoshBarnett

JoshBarnett Member

Thank you. I appreciate that. As we say all the time, "There's always a Buffalo connection."

I'm heading to Sports Business Journal as Managing Director / Editorial in a few weeks.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

They're getting a good one. Best of luck with your new endeavour.

5. JoshBarnett

JoshBarnett Member

Thank you so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted