1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The death of the Eugene Register-Guard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, May 21, 2023.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well, I guess it's not dead yet. But might as well be.

Truly awful, what has happened to this paper, which was one of the finest mid-sized city dailies in its heyday. So many outstanding writers, photogs and editors, a few of whom I worked with at my Microville shop before they moved 45 miles upriver, and many sports staffers who I spent time with on the road or in town covering Microville Tech sports.

Letting the Statesman-Journal run the Register-Guard is like letting the St. Louis Browns run the 1930s-50s New York Yankees or letting the Lions run the 2000-era New England Patriots.

Eugene Register-Guard languishes under Gannett, nation’s largest newspaper chain - oregonlive.com

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Salinas with bigger trees

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Fun, frisky city with a powerhouse college and plenty of old money in the hills south of town. The mid-size demise is familiar but still disorienting at this scale.

Liut likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oddly enough - the Salem outlet just downsized their square footage and the landlord took their sign off their building.

6. Antwan Staley

Antwan Staley Member

I worked for the paper a year ago before leaving in July. I won’t publicly throw dirt on them. All I will say is this is tough to see from afar.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    dixiehack, OscarMadison and Liut like this.
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I am sorry. It's tough to see an organization change to something you longer love and no longer loves you back.

FileNotFound and Antwan Staley like this.
  8. Antwan Staley

Antwan Staley Member

I got out, so I’m good. Apparently at the right time

sgreenwell and OscarMadison like this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I got a job offer from them in, I think, 2002. I countered for about $4k more because the drive from Vancouver WA was going to be a bitch. After that, the position suddenly went dark. I don’t know if that was because of my counter or just the way that chain operated.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Drive from Vancouver WA to Eugene each day?!? Yikes!

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That's why I asked for more money.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There isn't enough money on Earth to get me to do that commute daily.

Tarheel316 and studthug12 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted