1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The death of the Eugene Register-Guard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, May 21, 2023.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Hey, I was working construction pretty much the whole time I lived out there. That commute would have been worth it to me to have an office job, but I needed the extra $4k to make it worth it.

I finally took a job at The Sun in San Berdoo (RIP, Lou; RIP, BGoff) to get back into newspapers and out of the construction / restoration game.

Liut and MileHigh like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I commuted from Corvallis to Troutdale for three months - the only thing that kept me sane was knowing it was temporary. Needed to fill-up every day and a half - and that was before gas prices blew up. High speed rail between Eugene and Vancouver BC would make so much sense. Though I wonder if the rise in remote working almost makes it moot.

3. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

No, I don't think that was the way that chain operated. In part, it was still owned by the Bakers in 2002.
    I assume you were in line for a position governed by Guild pay tiers, so the internal salary credibility might have been up-heaved if somebody new got $4,000 more than called for.
    Not sure what was so vital in the Couv that you couldn't move to Eugene. I also assume moving expenses were part of the offer (they were when I got an offer there)?

4. swingline

My girlfriend at the time worked just across the river in Oregon, and they weren’t going to pay me/us to move closer to Eugene. And we couldn’t afford to move even if we wanted to.

I don’t remember them saying anything about the Guild, but it’s been a long time since then.

Eh, it all worked out in the end, and I got to work with some nice folks in SoCal.

Liut, MileHigh and I Should Coco like this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And you got the hell out of Clark County, Proud Boy central.

My old shop, which acted as a triple-A franchise for the Guard for many years, just announced it was going to three days a week in print. Our most recent subscription renewal will be our last. So sad to see.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Spent many proud years at 399 North D Street.

7. swingline

How many times did you see a homeless guy pissing in the parking lot across the street?

We walked the women out at night.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, pretty much every night. And we did the same. Was not a good place.

9. swingline

While I worked in that building, one night a bat flew around the newsroom. And one night a rat hit my chair with a tail as thick as a Big Chief pencil. We were lucky we didn’t get rabies.

The new digs were much nicer.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Guard died when the Baker family sold it.

Draft saved Draft deleted