1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Who remembers the Thomas Guide?

TigerVols and swingline like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And if you recognize this place, you know how I misspent my youth.

Post-20200321-01-01a-The-Rock-Store.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was reminiscing about that recently with a buddy. Priceless, “WAIT where’s page 195??

maumann likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was going to post something similar.
    When we moved to a different county 17 years ago, I bought two on our first shopping trip, for the car and the house. I still have one that I never use. At work, we had a Thomas Guide wall map. Since it was next to the bathroom, everybody saw it. I used to study it, trying to figure out how to get places if the freeway was closed or a main street was closed, i.e. how to get from home to work on surface streets.

Interesting when I found out that they intentionally put in mistakes in order to catch other mapmakers who were stealing their work.

maumann likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I bought a Thomas guide when I worked construction in Portland. Invaluable when I finally figured out how to use it.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

When you get toward Red Mountain/Johannesburg/Randsburg 395 gets better. Between Victorville and Red Mountain is the pits. Just flat desert with too many semis on a two lane highway passing through some really interesting places that I’d sooner do 80 to get past.

But then you get to Ridgecrest/Inyokern, make a stop at Indian Wells Brewing and then head up into the Eastern Sierra, it’s just amazing.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I know Kramer Junction through driving the 58 once between Barstow and Bake. No shrooms. All I got.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Saw this at the end of a very long walk this evening. Would love to take this for a spin on the freeways.

20211128_171637.jpg

9. Spartan Squad

I once stopped in Kramer Junction to pee on my way to Ontario late at night. Saw one dude giving another dude a shave in the bathroom. I don’t know if they were spiffing up before going to Vegas, but it was seriously late. Also, no Shrooms.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

A euphemism?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Spartan Squad

No. Thankfully, I'm being literal.

Draft saved Draft deleted