1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I-95 wins again. 85 miles between my mom's house and mine. Took 2 1/2 hours yesterday. That shit is exhausting. I don't know how many lanes it would take to handle all of that traffic between D.C. and Richmond, but three ain't enough.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Took delivery of our "new" used car yesterday, a 2018 with only 22k on the clock.

Driving a new car is such an American experience, especially a Californian. I grew up going everywhere in a car (with parents) and enjoying the experience, knowing we were always "going somewhere", whether to visit grandparents/aunts/cousins, or vacation (too poor for plane rides) or just to the store. I couldn't wait to drive.

So jumping into my newish twin turbo 6 which puts out 350HP with a nice interior and upgraded sound system is a joy that I didn't have before. Early Christmas in my house.

misterbc, maumann, dixiehack and 2 others like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was crazy driving through Portland last night, drove through two very recent crashes (no tow trucks on the scene yet) - felt like I was driving in Talladega with cars still smoking and tires/axles trashed.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It was a perfect Florida day yesterday as I drove across the state with a semi-famous board member in my convertible for lunch with another semi-famous board member. Made it in record time, too.

5. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

A couple years ago we went to Alaska and drove around the Kenai Peninsula. The tunnel into Whittier is a hoot.

maumann and MileHigh like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

TigerVols likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Portland/I-5 has become one of the most miserable driving experiences there is, especially in the winter. It's always gridlocked in Wilsonville, from the Rose Quarter north, and anyplace on 205. I can only imagine the Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle slog, which luckily I haven't had to make in more than a decade.

And having only two lanes from Salem all the way to the California border (with an exception of metro Eugene) is crazy. And there's no talk of going to three, even with the infusion of infrastructure money.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My temporary three-month two-hour commute ended yesterday. Oddly enough - both trips were pretty smooth. I'm still going to talk to my local representative about banning moving homes on Interstates during rush hour. It's idiotic seeing one of those things taking up two lanes going 50 mph.

And I've always thought if some terror group wanted to do real damage to the US economy, there are a few spots in Interstates that if heavily damaged or blown up without much effort - could shut down the routes almost entirely. Particularly with 5 which has very few workarounds that could handle a detour, the weight of commercial traffic or the volume and impact on local communities.

MileHigh and Batman like this.
  9. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I’ve done the I-5 from the Canada border past Eugene probably 30 times. It’s hard to imagine a more dismal drive through beautiful country. There are flashes of the PNW, but not enough. The worst stretch might be from Everett or so through Tacoma. Just a slog. Gets okay around Chehalis or so.

I’ve always cut off to go through Elkton and Drain on the way to Bandon Dunes so I haven’t done the rest of it in years. I know people who haven’t done the drive don’t realize how much of Northern California is north of SF.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There are a couple of spots along the Mississippi River where there is only one crossing for a hundred miles or more, and the detours involve going down state roads and two-lane U.S. highways. I think there's one train crossing (at Vicksburg) between Memphis and Baton Rouge, and probably not many more between Memphis and St. Louis. You're right that a bit of well-placed destruction could cause a lot of headaches.
    Hell, we've had a couple of bad wrecks in the past year at choke points on I-20 in Mississippi that shut down traffic for almost a full day. People were stuck in their cars for 12 hours or more.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And some days you drive into the 405 mosh pit.

20211224_122636.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

NOW THAT’s LA!!!

Songbird likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted