1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My dad started collecting and fixing up Mustangs in late 70s. I went away to college in ‘68 coupe. No AC, but was fun. Dad kept me away from the sweet 65 fastback because I totaled my first car 4 mos after getting my license (t boned after left turn). First new car was a ‘88 GT fastback with 5 spd (0-70 in 2nd); that was a blast for a 28 yr old single guy!! Then got a ‘89 GT Conv, great fun until some clown hit me 7 yrs later. Dad and I restored a 66 conv from the ground up literally, she was perfect daily driver. Sold it to a collector in Sweden so we could buy a new minivan (life gets in the way). A year later I decided to get a “04 GT Conv, ragtop fun with a 5.0 rumble but later went to a 4 dr G35 to be a grown up finally. Almost got one this year but went German. So yeah I’ve loved them.

playthrough and bigpern23 like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe worth noting here that one reason these retro editions of classic 60s muscle cars - Mustang, Charger, Challenger, Camaro, etc. - all look a little wrong is that they're so much thicker through the hams and hunkers than the originals. They're also about a million times safer.

maumann, FileNotFound and Tighthead like this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, when I went from ‘66 to the ‘04, it was like night and day.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Haha, my best friend's dad bought the Ford dealership in my city in 1963. And Mustangs arrived in '64. Yes, very wealthy. We were always in Mustangs. His mom drove us everywhere (my mom couldn't drive).
    However, my dad was a GM guy (Buick Rivieras) so I always had Chevys. I bought 2 Camaros. I'm in Ford SUVs now. On a quick trip to Hilo a couple of years ago, I rented the 5.0 Mustang convertible (just like every other tourist on the island). Loved the acceleration, the sound, the look.

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Reading the comments on the Car & Driver website, the size and weight of modern cars is a common lament. Much of it has to with crash safety regulations.

I saw an early 90s 911 recently and it was just a whisper compared to the current model. Must be a joy on a twisty road.

I actually think Ford has done a good job with the Mustang. It looks good, and you can still get into one with a lot of horses at a reasonable price.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My first car was a 1981 Mustang. It was an awful car. There was a stretch there where the Mustangs were just not good.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How the hell can it look so pristine? Like it never saw any elements.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

My grandfather owned one of the classic mustangs. If it wasn't the original year, it was not long after that. It was a beautiful car, deep dark green that sparkled in the sun. I don't much remember riding in it because I was very young, but I remember him having it. But my grandfather likes new things. And he also needed more of a backseat to contain the grandchildren. So he traded that beautiful, beautiful car and for the next new thing. A lime green Pinto.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The only color that belongs on a classic Mustang is candy apple red.

Songbird likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One of my dads was a candy apple red ‘65 fastback with red interior; loved that one but he sold before I had $$ and space for it :(

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

After an hour of cardio at the gym I was starving and planned to get home ASAP to each lunch.

Instead I went on a joyride in the opposite direction.

Found myself at a red light at Crenshaw and Pico.

Looked up and saw a photo op with the Public Storage sign.

Wanted to get the Gus's Fried Chicken sign into the photo. Turned the camera. Got it.

Stared at the sign for Gus's Fried Chicken and thought about the s-apostrophe-s/s-apostrophe debate.

Should it be Gus' Fried Chicken or Gus's Fried Chicken?

Made a decision to eat at Gus's Fried Chicken.

Gus's Fried Chicken on MLK Day in the beating heart of L.A.

Didn't plan on this but life intervenes and here I was.

[​IMG]

No indoor dining still so I considered eating somewhere else because I wanted the full experience.

[​IMG]

Then I thought how dumb it would be to leave since I was here, inside.

I wanted Gus's Fried Chicken. Never had it. Something led me here so just do it.

Walked to the counter to order then made chit-chat with Michelle and Lisa about MLK Day.

[​IMG]

I wished Lisa a Happy MLK Day and asked if "Happy" MLK Day is the proper greeting because ...

Happy New Year!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy President's Day!

Happy Easter!

Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Veterans Day!

... in the sense that not all national holidays are "Happy" like Memorial Day. We're not supposed to say Happy Memorial Day, right?

Unlike Veterans Day which is intended to honor all those who served, Memorial Day is a time to honor those who gave their lives in service to their country. Intended to be a serious day of remembrance, some have criticized moving the holiday to the last Monday of May because the three day weekend has created a celebratory atmosphere marking the start of summer.

Since the word happy has joyous connotations, some people think it's inappropriate to wish someone a "Happy Memorial Day." For those who lost a loved one it can come off as indicative of the lost meaning of the holiday and Jennie Haskamp, a Marine Corps veteran, wrote in an op-ed for The Washington Post in 2015 that she was angry that Memorial Day has become focused on barbecues.

Michelle and Lisa weren't quite sure how to answer. Lisa is Black. No one ever asked her the question. How could she know the answer?

"Maybe Grateful MLK Day is a more respectful greeting," I told Lisa.

This morning I wished 2 Black women "Happy MLK Day."

Both said Thank you but one of them was surprised and didn't know MLK Day was today.

By the end of this little chit-chat, as I took my 2-piece meal to go, Michelle said she was giving me a free piece of chocolate pie.

Wandered into hallway to check out the framed bio of Gus and other national stories about the chicken joint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drove home and found a parking spot at my place. Ate behind the wheel.

The chicken is cooked to perfection. The skin is thick and crunchy and spicy.

The beans are sweet.

Authentic collard greens.

[​IMG]

Pioneer Chicken from the '70s and '80s will always be my favorite fried chicken but I'd say Gus's Fried Chicken is top 3, maybe even second.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chocolate pie is more like a chocolate brownie in pie crust, and it was phenomenal.

[​IMG]

Happy MLK Day!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted