1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think I posted this one last month. It's the best shot of Hollywood I'll ever need to get.

Got lucky getting it after zig zagging thru smaller streets to avoid big clogged thoroughfares.

[​IMG]

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty stout. Have always been kind of fascinated by the trucker life. My wife's brother has been on the road for 30 years, with a gajillion accident-free miles and he's won a lot of truck contests where you park in reverse on a dime and stuff like that. But having gotten to know his wife, I understand why the open road must look so good.

Tighthead likes this.
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm on a work assignment in Australia. Friday and Monday are both public holidays here, so I decided to take a long weekend and go exploring.

This means ... I'm driving on the wrong side of the car.

IMG_0126 2.JPG

But because of the wonders of modern technology, I can listen to Major League Baseball while driving the backroads of New South Wales. Life is full of wonder.

My drive took me along Highway B59, through the Blue Mountains. Think a slightly less-scenic Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful rises, with mountain bluffs to my left and expansive, beautiful valleys to my right (which, I had to keep reminding myself, is also where the oncoming traffic was.)

I stopped along the way and took a little hike on the Walls Lookout Walking Track in the Blue Mountains National Park.

IMG_0148 copy.jpg

The photo doesn't really do justice to the view, or the fact that I was looking down on most of that.

My plan was to secure lodging in Orange, but I didn't plan very well, so I had to go back to Bathurst. I scrambled and found an old hotel that once was part of a Catholic university. Never let it be said that I don't have a sense of adventure. Someday my planning skill will catch up to my adventurousness.

But the hotel, as it turns out, is not far from one of the most legendary venues in motorsport, the Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit. And, as it turns out, Mount Panorama is playing host to this event this weekend:

Home - Bathurst 6 Hour

Which means I'll spend at least some of tomorrow over at Mount Panorama.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice.

Keep left!

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nice to see and hear, FNF. The closest I've come to Mount Panorama was driving it in "Gran Turismo." Tough track.

maumann and FileNotFound like this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Work assignment in Australia? Very cool.

Songbird and FileNotFound like this.
  7. Songbird

Went for what turned into a 5-mile walk up to Sunset Boulevard to look for a good spot.

On the way back, Robertson Boulevard, saw a sad sight. Is it really worth rebuilding this beauty?

[​IMG]

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

To pitch a tent?

No such thing.

Why not get a job and rent an apartment instead?

Mngwa likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Songbird

The Malibu was on back of a wrecker in front of a Beemer.

If the Malibu was fixed up pretty, which would you rather have, it or the Beemer?

[​IMG]

11. Songbird

Here's what a guy trying to parallel park his $500,000 Lamborghini Aventador on a Saturday afternoon on Sunset Boulevard looks like.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Our best photographer is leaving, and Songbird would be great for his job. Don't think he wants to move here, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted