1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

A few snaps from Saturday at Mount Panorama:

bathurst-1.jpg The Turtle Wax Trans Am series, featuring American V8s — Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers. The sound was sublime.

bathurst-2.jpg A mid-'60s Holden Monaro, the legendary Australian marque recently discontinued by GM. This generation of Monaro was basically the Chevelle of Australia back in its day. More recently, Monaros were sold in the U.S. as the Pontiac GTO of the early 200os.

bathurst-3.jpg
    This '69 Camaro was in the Classic Touring Cars race.

bathurst-7.jpg
    I didn't stay for the main event on Sunday -- I didn't even actually mean to be here Saturday, but was the beneficiary of my own bad planning. But man, what an amazing venue, and it rekindled my love for motorsports that I had kind of lost somewhere along the way.

Attached Files:

Batman and Songbird like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great shots.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There are two great ages in the whole long history of Australia.

Before

1974-holden-hj-sandman.jpg

and after.

6-Mad-Maxs-Interceptor-Via-Pinterest.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Songbird likes this.
  5. Songbird

Those are way better.

My shots are more like the grease and the grime on the soles of your sneaks.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A for real driving story. About one hour ago, I was stuck in the most Boston traffic jam imaginable. It's a state holiday here, so traffic on 128, our beltway was very light -- until all of a sudden, average speed went from 70 to 5 mph. About a half mile down the road, I discovered the cause of the backup. People were slowing down to almost a stop to look at the Marathon runners on the overpass above the highway.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was going to write "have these people not seen Boston Marathon runners before?" then remembered it's been three years since they've seen them on the proper date.

FileNotFound, dixiehack and PaperDoll like this.
  8. Songbird

San Vicente Boulevard part 382

[​IMG]

9. Songbird

PICO AND SAWTELLE -- Graffiti removal crew shows great persistence lugging buckets of paint to the top of the underpass.

10. Songbird

I was under one of the freeways in West L.A. around Pico and Barrington and saw a sweet old Camaro, not sure of the year.

The driver looks like Jake Tapper.

[​IMG]

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Gotta see the taillights to be sure which year specifically, but that’s a 1967-69 model.

12. Songbird

That half-a-million-dollar Lambo takes the same Interstate battery you put in your 2014 Corolla.

[​IMG]

I parked on Purdue Avenue near Pico. At the corner is a shop for Lamborghinis.

Another guy was spray-painting the rims of a red Lambo.

[​IMG]

Just down the street at another shop, brakes on a yellow Lambo were being worked on.

[​IMG]

Meandered up and down Pico, took a lot of shots.

This one is pretty funny. Is it part of a joke?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted