1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Driving Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd add a touch of relish, but looks good.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Are you moving home?

Mazel tov!

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Food carts outside of a DMV is damned smart business.

dixiehack and maumann like this.
  4. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Remove that mustard and put mayo and you have yourself a great hot dog there.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes. Bittersweet. And I wish I could be anywhere else. I want to go on the road for a year or two. And thank you.

Between license, smog check, registration, I've spent $250 in the last 2 hours.

6. Songbird

Lol I'd rather believe in God than eat mayo.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. My brother and his family moved out of the I.E. to Idaho and definitely didn't pay that up there. My parents look to flee the I.E. in the next nine months and come here since there are no grandkids back there anymore.

maumann likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No online option? AAA has service windows too?

9. Songbird

Almost 30 years laters I'm official again in SoCal. I live deep in the guts of L.A. on the edge of Beverly Hills and Hollywood, which I drove in and out of today to get my license at one DMV and then to register my baby at another DMV. Had to get a smog test too. Oh the Cali smog tests. (To answer @qtlaw's question, the online option sucks and anyway, I wanted to suffer the SoCal DMV experience in person.) Now I'll drive up and down La Cienega and Robertson and Melrose and Fairfax and San Vicente and Beverly and La Brea and Santa Monica and Olympic and Pico. You have to be on the ball driving these streets. There are so many visuals and stimuli. It'll be kind of fun getting to know these streets every day.

20211118_151415.jpg

20211118_152313.jpg

20211118_152712.jpg

20211118_152634.jpg

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Back in the 'hood. How many high schools did you pass? Fairfax, Hollywood, Hamilton, Beverly Hills, L.A.?

11. Songbird

Hamilton on Robertson often. Fairfax (where my dad's mom went) yesterday. May have passed Hollywood High the other day.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My former paper covered Hami. One of the more interesting schools for its diversity. South of Hamilton is mainly a middle-class black area (Warren "Harold" Moon and Rod Martin went there, as did Sidney Wicks). To the north is the Borsch Belt (no notable athletes come to mind). So Hami had all of these terrific athletes, receivers, sprinters, and a bunch of soft Jewish boys to block for them. Note: the guy who played Robby Benson's teammate in "One On One" went to Hami. I think his name was Cory Faucher. The school is also known for its theater arts program. Emile Hirsch ("The Girl Next Door," "Into The Wild," Lords of Dogtown") went there.

Draft saved Draft deleted