1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Coming up next: Wall Street Journal retroactively blames Great Depression on independents, women, LGBQT+, Blacks and veterans.

" It would not have happened if straight, white men were running the banks."

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Turns out my employer had a lot of cash tied up in Boston Private, which SVB bought a couple years ago.

That e-mail was a fun morning read. All sunshine and rainbows here, still. I'm sure that'll change soon.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It depends on the duration and terms of Joe's mortgage or Karen's loan. Most mortgages are for fixed rates over a 15-30 year period. For example I took a 15 year mortgage last year at 2.875%. The credit union was paying basically zero interest to its depositors at the time The credit union counted on paying its expenses and taking a profit on the spread. But because the interest rates on deposits has risen it is quite likely that the bank will lose money on the mortgage. If the bank is stuck with to many of these mortgages on which it is taking a loss they will be in financial trouble. The savings and loan industry was basically destroyed in the early 80's when short-term interest rates soared while the institutions had lots of fixed rate mortgages written at low rates..

If the loan has a variable rate or is of shorter duration then the bank has reduced risk.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Wow, that's really bad. I thought Barney walked the walk. I'm a fool.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

Depends on how you define bailout.

They didn't bail out the banks. Shareholders and bondholders are going to lose their equity and the money they lent.

But they put an implicit guarantee in that everyone's deposits are safe. So that is a bailout.

For me? Debating the word "bailout" misses the forrest for the trees.

There are two issues that people AREN'T focused on. The Fed has been ostensibly raising their overnight rate and letting bonds start to roll off their balance sheet to address the consumer price inflation they stoked. ... But what they did yesterday is at odds with that, because the "loans" they are giving those banks are money printing in a different wrapper (what stoked the inflation in the first place). They are accepting collateral for the "loans" and valuing that collateral way higher than it currently is actually worth. They can do this, because at the press of a button they can create money out of thin air. Trillions dollars worth of that (in the name of crises) is what CREATED the mess we are now facing.

Secondly, during the financial crisis in 2008, the FDIC raised the covered deposits limit from $100K to $250K. Yesterday, they implictly told people that bank deposits are covered to infinity. Even if that was possible. ... it adds about $7 to $10 trillion in additional unfunded liabilities to the U.S. government. It's a complete fucking joke. Take a look at the FDIC's balance sheet if you want to have a laugh. ... It has $125 billion that is somehow supposed to be securing $7 to $10 trillion.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    Azrael likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

FYI. ... There is a CPI print at 8:30, which was SUPPOSED to be the big event of the week. ... What does it mean for Fed hiking?

Forecasts have inflation at 6 percent (core inflation at 5.5 percent) year over year.

Putting aside that I always believe what they put out as much as I believe Donald Trump's golf scorecard. ... things are now a complete mess, because due to the banking crisis, odds went way down based on the Fed Funds futures for a 50 basis point hike at the Fed meeting next week, and took the odds of NO HIKE from 0 to more than 50 percent (funny how "data dependent" has shifting meanings).

If that number runs hot at 8:30, or the perception by Mr. Market is that it is hot, all hell is going to break loose in the bond market (and by extension, equity markets) today.

We'll never know, but I totally wouldn't be surprised if the BLS had a number ready to go late last week that looks radically different from the number they are going to spit out at everyone at 8:30.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

go woke / go broke

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the Panic of 1907, one of the methods used to stem a nationwide rush of bank runs (remember, no FDIC nor Federal Reserve back then) was created by J.P. Morgan. He instructed his and other banks' tellers to count out the money a customer was withdrawing as slowly as possible, making it as inconvenient as possible to do so. Believe it or not, this tactic was effective. They needed to update for the 21st century of course, but SVB should have told its depositors, "sorry, we're doing a software upgrade and the computers are down."

12. The Big Ragu

Draft saved Draft deleted