1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The duality that drives 2023 economic discourse. Quinnipiac poll taken last week had 61 percent of respondents describe their personal economic circumstances as "excellent" or "good." Same poll also had 75 percent of these same respondents describe overall economic conditions as "poor" or "fair." It's the economic equivalent of that longstanding polling trends of "Congress sucks, but my congressman is great," "schools suck, but my kids' school is great", etc.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Credit never stopped flowing. ... but prices have risen due to the fiscal and monetary stupidity.

People are confused. They go to the grocery store and their bill is way up. They go to get a car, and the monthly payment is double what it was 3 years ago.

But everyone who wants a job has one (for the time being) and there is actually a surplus of jobs available. ... and most importantly, they are still running up debt. Banks were lending.

Credit is about to dry up -- it's a done deal. Everything just changed. I'll bet you those 61 percent of respondents (who have no clue what the drivers are in their lives) feel very differently relatively soon.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That could happen, I suppose, but it hasn't happened yet. So why the disparity in the poll? I seriously doubt your monetary policy views are held by a majority of the populace.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

If the job market stays hot alongside inflation, this could be one where people don’t know they’re in a boiling pot until it is too late, slowly but surely tapping savings and credit to make it. The polling would explain that.

TigerVols likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

Not COULD happen. Is happening. The ONLY question is if the Fed can get credit flowing and create an even BIGGER credit crisis later for the illusion of stability today.

Part of what caused this is the Fed was trying to extricate itself (to deal with consumer price inflation). They VERY slowly (because they knew what was going to happen; their only strategy is hope) were letting some of the assets they purchased with all of the QE roll off their balance sheet. Last night, they released their holdings (they do this weekly) and they undid the last several months of decreasing their balance sheet in less than a week! They expanded the balance sheet by $300 billion.

This is the ONLY thing they have to prevent a credit crisis. ... creating money out of thin air and injecting it into the banking system (in the latest scheme, they are accepting collateral and valuing it at par when it is worth WAY less).

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In the interest of adapting to the volatility of this rapidly changing world financial market, I have moved our savings from the lidless old mayonnaise jar into a proper shoebox.

Now under the bed.

At last, our buttons, lint and subway tokens are safe!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  7. The Big Ragu

People are clueless about what is going on out there.

Right now, you have a lot of people looking at bank balance sheets, seeing who has a lot of uninsured deposits, and they are buying credit default swaps to try to bring those banks down. Those banks are sitting on big portfolio losses (on a marked to market basis).

This is not going to go away.

Worse, the Fed meets next week and right up until SVB failed, Jay Powell (who was clueless) was signaling a possible 50 basis point hike at their meeting (because inflation as measured by the CPI is running at 6 percent year over over)!

They are beyond fucked. They have tw choices: global financial crisis / credit crunch. ... or try to prop up trillions of dollars of bad debt with more credit (which requires them intervening in markets) and fuel the price inflation they now have zero control over.

The banking crisis that is forcing their hand is all due to duration risk (caused by zero interest rate policy for a decade and a half!) that made those banks vulnerable.

It wasn't a problem as long as they could keep the distortions in effect. Consumer price inflation forced their hands. Now they are backed against a wall. I kept trying to explain that in posts when they started to hike. ... there was no way this WASN'T going to happen if interest rates normalized just a little.

8. The Big Ragu

The next shoe to drop is going to be what higher funding costs do to the TRILLIONS of dollars of mispriced debt their "policy" let loose.

The world is filled with zombie companies that have been able to borrow way too cheaply and keep rolling over that debt cheaply for more than a decade. Credit hasn't just been mispriced, what the party did was make it too easy to get. It's all of the junk debt that is going to become a massive problem when credit dries up now, because it has relied on just being able to roll itself over at little cost and keep growing bigger. What now?

This was from something that "Grant's Interest Rate Observer" sends out every night. It's about how borrowing costs are rising in speculative-grade credit. It points out that we are starting to see defaults pick up.

The party is over, folks. It's crazy to me that the typical person doesn't even realize there HAS been a party.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Let the credit crunch come.

'Bout time the priority shifted to "working with what we HAVE" instead of "shooting for how much we can BORROW."

[​IMG]

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Multi-trillion dollar economies don’t work like a five-figure checking account. We can all agree government has been profligate. Dave Ramsey ain’t fixing or running anything bigger than a three bedroom home.

Layman and FileNotFound like this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I got a barrel. All I need is suspenders.
    [​IMG]

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Lindsey Graham agrees:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted