1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

So much for the pretty nice little Saturday.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well ... if you don't get some sheets from BB&B on clearance, one might stay woke. They won't fall asleep, anyway.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

$30 a week? I made $10-$12 a week and I liked it!!

maumann likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/26/ban...brits-need-to-accept-were-all-worse-off-.html

The guy who works for the central bank that has completely fucked its people by blowing its money supply out of the water to recklessly spur a debt binge that has now led to runaway consumer price inflation that is crippling the country. ... not only doesn't take responsibility. ... he tells people who want to earn more to offset the higher prices he's caused, that they need to bend over and make it easier for him to penetrate them. Holy moly.

One thing I was wondering. ... if this is a war between capital and labor (due to the inflation he exists to create), why does that war have to be automatically won by capital, the way he is implicitly suggesting?

In any case, I just randomly saw this, so I'll save you one of my posts. He does it better than I would have anyhow.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My dad told me in the 1970s not to go into journalism if I wanted to make any money.

He retired from journalism in November 2000.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I started at about $10/week, but my single paper route grew into a three-rout empire

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Alone and Exploited, Migrant Children Work Brutal Jobs Across the U.S.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The first-quarter economic numbers should be Goldilocks. The economy grew (at a slower rate) and didn't go negative, and that should ease inflationary pressures — and in turn ease pressure on the Fed to bump interest rates.

10. The Big Ragu

Macroeconomics would have taught us that. ... prior to the stagflation of the 1970s, at least, when they realized that the Phillips Curve is not inviolate due to the era of runaway fiat money that was ushered in.

Putting aside how inexact their measurement of the economy is (and the GDP number will get revised several times, likely downward to show that the economy has been contracting). ... the report showed that the PCE price index (the Fed's preferred "inflation" measure) INCREASED i.e. we are now seeing slow growth AND high inflation. ... or stagflation.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The ladyfriend stockpiled BBB coupons. Apparently they never expired, despite the printed expiration date. (No wonder why they’re shutting down.) She took a wad of them to BBB the other day and says some no-longer-gives-a-shit employee kept compounding coupon on coupon on coupon. She was proud of herself.

2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

A story expounding a bit on what I was talking about.

The latest GDP numbers have economists fearing more than just a recession: ‘The U.S. might well be facing stagflation’

Draft saved Draft deleted