1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

With the workout it gets, it probably needs to be changed monthly anyway.

2muchcoffeeman and dixiehack like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ragu, you need to send all your missives to the relevant Fed parties. If you get a reply, let us know.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

elsewhere:

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Meh to the "corporate theft / goal is to impoverish workers" nonsense. You may has well be listening to horse buggy makers demonize automobiles.

But these stories from yesterday should be getting some notice:

‘The Godfather of A.I.’ Leaves Google and Warns of Danger Ahead

“It is hard to see how you can prevent the bad actors from using it for bad things,” Dr. Hinton said.

Azrael likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The old carriagemakers were mostly absorbed into the automotive industry. There was work in the new business replacing them.

Once AI starts putting people out of work - not just writers, but accountants and middle managers and factory supervisors and warehouse bosses and truckers and farmers and programmers etc etc - where will they be reabsorbed into the economy?

If you replace huge swaths of the workforce with AI, and there's no business to reabsorb them, what happens to our economy?

What happens to our politics?

From that NYT piece:

He is also worried that A.I. technologies will in time upend the job market. Today, chatbots like ChatGPT tend to complement human workers, but they could replace paralegals, personal assistants, translators and others who handle rote tasks. “It takes away the drudge work,” he said. “It might take away more than that.”

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

Something like that has the potential to create a lot of disruption. So I am not minimizing how unsettling it must feel to a lot of people. If something that costs less than the price of your labor can do the work you do better and more efficiently than you can do it, your skillset becomes obsolete. You lose the leverage you have to demand what you get paid, and that is scary because older people don't handle change well and it is difficult to restart or develop new skills quickly.

But to answer your question about what happens to our economy. ... just like every groundbreaking technological disruption, it also has great potential to make our lives that much better by increasing our standard of living. Things that were difficult to accomplish -- making it so a lot of people can't have them -- will become easy and more people can have them. Which makes lives better, not worse, in the long run. In the long run, the workers who are displaced are then freed up to do newer things that we couldn't have imagined there having been a need for, because they were never a possibility before. 150 years ago, nobody would have conceived of people making their livings as computer programmers. And they couldn't have conceived of a world where there would be no need for ice cutters or scissors grinders.

In the case of AI. ... imagine a world in which technology is so much more efficient than humans that the technology frees up people to largely live lives of leisure instead of having to work? It's sort of the promise that is the flip side to the fears people like Hinton are warning about, because what if we end up in a 2001 Space Odyssey environment where machines become more powerful than people and decide that we're not necessary?

That actually feels like an existential threat. ... but the Byzantine idea that we need to prevent progress because people are scared of the displacements it might cause is an age old thing, and it's always futile anyhow.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm flying private in a couple of weeks. I appreciate all y'all chipping in.

10. The Big Ragu

Fair share.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Depends how we define 'progress.'

I hope by the time we arrive at the summit of our inevitable AI / robotic economy - in which there are no jobs anywhere for anyone, just efficiency for the investor class and a huge, jobless drone class - that we've figured out a universal basic income.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're drowning in the "lump of labor" fallacy, @Azrael.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted