1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

US Consumer Borrowing Climbs on Surge in Credit Card Balances

America is at full employment :rolleyes:. ... Meanwhile, last night the Federal Reserve reported a rise in revolving credit card balances that is one of the largest in history as more and more Americans are relying on credit cards to meet basic expenses.

That, as the same report showed that average credit card interest had just hit a record high 20.9 percent.

To borrow from someone else on here, I'm sure it's all OK.

A recent poll by Morning Consult for Bloomberg News showed over half of Americans don’t have the financial resources to cover a surprise $400 expense without taking on debt.

What is stunning is that credit conditions are tightening up like a snare drum right now. ... the Fed reluctantly / felt forced to let interest rates actually put a nominal cost on money, and the result is that banks are now failing because of the residual cost of the imbalances of the last decade +. That has put a halt on commercial and corporate lending at least, and with mortgage and car loan payments now double to triple what they were when the Fed was keeping it's thumb on the scales of finance, that party has been abruptly broken up.

But it's almost like 1) consumers are sensing this is their last chance to max out their credit cards before the lights go out, 2) or the banks are desperate to load up the hapless with as much debt as possible, despite the fact that unless the Fed pivots and chooses runaway inflation over a credit bust (what everyone has been conditioned to assume will happen), the charge offs are going to bury even more banks.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s going to get really bad when those “zero percent” balance transfer offers disappear. People have played a shell game with their debt. (I’m going to miss those $200-$400 offers to open a credit card, though. I don’t borrow money, so I was perfectly happy to take a minor ding to my credit score, make a quick $400 bucks, pay it off and then cut the card up and lock it. Ended up making an extra $1,500 the last few years. But I knew there must be so many people who were falling for that pitch and burying themselves in debt.)

3. The Big Ragu

4. The Big Ragu

5. The Big Ragu

The only reason I ever see The Guardian is because of all the links from it that have been posted on here, and I usually roll my eyes at the same tired prescriptions for how to steal from and coerce people in the name of centrally planning things, in ways that always end up f-ing up those things even more.

But for pure stupidity, I give you one of the dumbest headlines you will ever come across (putting aside that the content is more of the same).

For housing to be affordable, prices must go down, not up. Here’s how it could happen | Matt Grudnoff

TigerVols and tea and ease like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

Unfortunately the people who would really benefit from just listening to this are the ones I am certain won't. But it is a speech Stan Druckenmiller made at the annual meeting of the USC Marshall Center for Investment Studies last week.

For me, he is just pointing out the obvious. Things that have been staring us in the face, even as people deliberately allow themselves to live in delusion. It's important, because we are squandering time, and have been for the last decade and a half, and the stupid course we have taken has just made what is coming worse.

The speech itself is just the first 20 minutes or so of the link, unfortunately there is no video so you can't see the graphs. But it's well worth listening to. The realities he is pointing out are of such importance to younger generations' futures.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Here is a surefire way to cash in on your household nut: Move to Arkansas, where you can still buy a 2,000-SF house on 40 acres for less than $200K in a lot of places.

I speak partially from experience. I got the 40 acres there from family inheritance and can get hold of a different 10 acres the same way, but in each instance a teardown will have to be involved. But the infrastructural development is already in place (water, septic, drive access, etc.) so that'll be easy.

Inky_Wretch and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I really should just copy this line and paste it in the Climate Change thread for Alma to chew on. It's a perfect fit.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They’re here to help.

upload_2023-5-9_20-21-53.jpeg

Driftwood and PCLoadLetter like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Outing alert

IMG_4245.jpeg

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I paid off and got rid of my last personal credit card 15 years ago. I have a Visa debit to make occasional travel reservations but that's it.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not getting rid of mine. I get the equivalent of a free tank of gas every month in cashback bonuses.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted