1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. The Big Ragu

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Newton got popped not once, but twice and served a surprisingly short sentence. He could've got 20 years, but instead only was sentenced to 30 months and was out in 2 years.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

$344 million in sales? Sorry, your private equity overlords have deemed that insufficient.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If I use my insurance for my sleep study tonight my out of pocket expense is over $860. If I do private pay with no insurance involvement it is $128. What a great system we have. But at least I don’t have to live like a filthy European.

garrow, FileNotFound and TigerVols like this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The curse of making a reliable, durable product. And they're not diversified like KitchenAid.

dixiehack likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I use my air fryer 50X more than my Instant Pot. FWIW.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

You have to look at the complete picture ... The company is down to $344 million in sales. ... and has close to $400 million in non-bank debt, which typically has higher interest rates than bank debt. They are rated as junk debt. They essentially leveraged up the company when interest rates were being suppressed by the Federal Reserve, and then the Fed pulled the rug out from under them when it raised rates 500 basis points in 15 months. They were fine when they could keep refinancing their debt at artificially low rates. ... they are toast now that the shadow banking lenders they were relying on won't touch them anymore.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

BTW. ... get used to stories like it.

One of two things happens now. ... Either:

1) The Fed stays put (what it did yesterday) or keeps raising rates and even withdraws some of the massive liquidity it injected into the economy by letting bonds roll off its balance sheet, and you get a cascade of companies that have been living on cheap, mispriced debt going bankrupt, or
    2) They see things breaking and panic and behave the way they always do, and deal with a debt crisis they caused in the first place. ... by distorting the debt markets more to stop the bleeding. If they do that, in the process they will create an even bigger debt crisis later on (what they have done in a series of fits and starts over the last decade), and because they let the consumer price inflation genie out of the bottle, rising prices will continue to be a problem and eat up the poorest people who get hit by it hardest.

Draft saved Draft deleted