1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The last time I was at Sanibel (2008), if you went right at the end of the causeway it still seemed like Sanibel. Didn't see high-rises on Perriwinkle and West Gulf. Not sure what's still there after the most recent hurricane.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Maybe he died doing what he loved?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He was a lumberjack and he was OK?

maumann likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Probably the son of a manager or something, like most of these stories wind up being.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/04/23/child-labor-lobbying-fga/

The Florida-based think tank and its lobbying arm, the Opportunity Solutions Project, have found remarkable success among Republicans to relax regulations that prevent children from working long hours in dangerous conditions. And they are gaining traction at a time the Biden administration is scrambling to enforce existing labor protections for children.

The FGA achieved its biggest victory in March, playing a central role in designing a new Arkansas law to eliminate work permits and age verification for workers younger than 16. Its sponsor, state Rep. Rebecca Burkes (R), said in a hearing that the legislation “came to me from the Foundation [for] Government Accountability.”

“As a practical matter, this is likely to make it even harder for the state to enforce our own child labor laws,” said Annie B. Smith, director of the University of Arkansas School of Law’s Human Trafficking Clinic. “Not knowing where young kids are working makes it harder for [state departments] to do proactive investigations and visit workplaces where they know that employment is happening to make sure that kids are safe.”

That law passed so swiftly and was met with such public outcry that Arkansas officials quickly approved a second measure increasing penalties on violators of the child labor codes the state had just weakened.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe!

https://www.wpr.org/teen-boy-dies-following-industrial-accident-northern-wisconsin-sawmill

In Wisconsin, minors are prohibited from working in many occupations in logging and sawmills. According to the state Department of Workforce Development, children under 18 are prohibited from entering a sawmill building. They are also not allowed to work felling or bucking timber, collection or transporting logs, operating or assisting in operating power-driven machinery, handling or using explosives, working on trestles, working on portable sawmills, working in lumberyards used for storing green lumber or using a chainsaw.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. BTExpress

That's how this shit happens. Under the table, relative of someone gets in, the less paperwork the better.

It's not like they have a bunch of 16-year-olds standing in line for interviews.

I hope. :eek:

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sounds like a hefty lawsuit.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sounds like employers want to suppress wages.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is a serious labor shortage in this country. Millions of unfilled jobs (while the labor force participation rate is absurdly low, FWIW).

Of course employers want to suppress wages. Just as anyone with a job wants to maximize their wages. That doesn't say anything.

The reason you are seeing an uptick of teenagers in jobs at meat processing plants and sawmills is that a lot of employers with tough, manual labor jobs can't find enough able-bodied workers. What you are seeing is more a function of them being desperate for "warm bodies" way more than it is them trying to find "cheaper labor." Few employers with job openings like those have that luxury in this market.

12. BTExpress

I can take as much home in retirement as my current job pays.

My statement to them when I retire is clear: "What's keeping me here?"

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted