1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe $50 of that will go to someone besides the doctor or nursing home.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hard to know if they mean depending on that figure alone with no other income.

Average 65-year-old woman will live 20 more years. $758,847/20 = $37,942, which sounds reasonable to live on if she will not have any other income.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Hell, only $726,847 to go!

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Grocery store and power bill.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Left out the drug companies, which will suck up at least half of that $700K in retirement money.

dixiehack and Driftwood like this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is the thing that everything depends on.

Assisted-care homes are yet another criminal racket, with most places charging anywhere from $5,000 and $8,000 a month, with costs only likely to go even higher as time goes on. It behooves everyone to stay in their own homes absolutely as long as possible because even a lot of money will drain very quickly at that rate. It is big business, and you are screwed if you have to be a client for any substantial amount of time and are not wealthy.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Here's whence came that Coventry Direct number ... https://www.gobankingrates.com/retirement/planning/how-much-need-survive-retirement-state/
    Lotta methodological questions, particularly as re: housing. Also, lots of right skew in the state-by-state numbers; the median is only $698K.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Only" is doing a lot of work there.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seems like the average Social Security check is only (ONLY!) $1,705.79. Ouch.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That $758,847 is present dollar value; that estimate will rise (hopefully) so the annual benefit would likewise (hopefully) rise.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Seeing as how it's 8% less than what the average is, I'd say "only" is reasonable in the context in which I used it.

I know this is gonna shock (!!!) some people, but very often I am irritated as all get-out by economic "controversies" resting on, essentially, a willful ignorance with respect to numerical reasoning.

For example ... how many times have you read something about how the median housing cost (perhaps it's the median monthly rent for a 2BR apartment) compares to the minimum wage? Guess what? The median housing cost is the 50th percentile ... the minimum wage is the 1th (if that) percentile. OF COURSE there's a gap ... and OF COURSE it's a big one!

SFIND likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

TV ad voiceover: It's Toyotathon... deals like you haven't see all year, come in an enjoy the savings, you won't believe these deals.
    Me: OK, cool. I'd like to see a 2024 Tacoma. I've been sitting on a pile of cash and will pay in full when I drive off the lot.
    Toyota: Trucks? Oh no, we don't have those.

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted