1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

My wife was working and came in the evening after I'd been out for a run along the waterfront walkway (which took me by the F1 track and paddock). That was pretty cool, along with seeing a 5-foot monitor lizard on the greenway one morning.

"Are ... are those your shoes? Put those outside, now."

I was smell blind or nose deaf or whatever they call it. They were pretty horrific. Walked over to the mall and bought another pair before we left Singapore.

The hawker markets were immensely interesting and the national museum was cool in Singapore. The rest, eh. Seeing the F1 paddocks up close also was cool.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

On one of those Key West trips I didn't think to buy the sunscreen right away. We checked into the hotel, hit the street, and walked around for maybe an hour before I realized what a mistake it was. It doesn't take long at all down there for the sun to bite into you.
    Now, literally the first stop we make is the CVS on Duval Street. We buy a can of Coppertone and spray it on right outside the store.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I could do the PNW, but it's got to work for both.

I spent time in A2 a long time back, liked a couple of side trips I did to Ypsilanti.

4. Machine Head

Thinking about this, I'm not sure you'd want an old fuck who does not give a flying fuck about what he says in the neighbourhood.

But, I thank you.

It's rather amazing, realizing the things that come with age.

Hoping for more revaluations.

5. Machine Head

I'd be ok living in the land of the ice and snow where the Gophers stink and the Vikings blow, but, alas...

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I started there, but didn’t finish.

All these years later, being there was the funnest time of my life (a big reason why I didn’t graduate).

micropolitan guy likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Funny story — my brother lives in San Diego and it rains every single time we go visit.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Gee, can't imagine a reason why the retailers would have done that.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

As the article (which was in the NY Times) pointed out, what caught analysts by surprise was that the National Retail Federation had always been a pretty trusted source of information, and 50 percent of the shrinkage coming from organized retail theft didn't jibe with their own numbers.

Unfortunately for them, all this does is distract from what is a huge problem for all of us, because it makes everything in the large retail chains more expensive. In pure dollar amounts -- not imprecise survey methods being converted into what percentages of their losses are due to what -- merchandise walking out of their stores still amounts to billions of dollars a year now. ... the cost of which gets passed along to each of us.

It also doesn't address the fact that in 2021 and 2022 when this was getting more focus, the amount of theft rose from where it had been previously -- whatever the actually percentage of what was a rising shrinkage number. Which shouldn't have been surprising for anyone looking at it logically. As costs of everything were rising, more people having trouble making ends meet were looking for "bargains," and anecdotally at least, more stolen merchandise was finding its way to a growing number of black markets -- everything from eBay to sidewalk markets in poor areas.

But people on here will look for a reason to dismiss what is a real problem if you are running a large retail operation. Target is in the business to make money. When it is continually talking about how theft is on the rise, to the point that it is shutting down stores in areas of large cities where it says it is getting killed due to theft, what logical reason would it have to shut those stores other than that reason? If those stores were accretive to their bottom line. ... that is all they ever care about when it comes to anything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted