1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

If you think the NRF kerfuffle is about actual retailing and not, say, a much larger and pernicious ongoing narrative about cities and the people that run them, then I can't help you.

Inky_Wretch and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Maybe stores should ask themselves what they are doing to prevent theft.
    I see stories all the time where they have people on camera just walking out with stuff. I'm not talking about some kid sticking a candy bar in his pocket or someone missing the bar code when they scan an onion but guys just walking out of Lowe's with a cart load of power tools.
    Don't be upset at the fox when you leave your hen house door open.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course retailers have a problem with the people running large cities. But it has everything to do with retailing, not whatever vagueness you think you're implying but won't just come out and say.

Retailers don't think enough is being done to protect their retail operations from theft. Thefts under $950 were essentially decriminalized in San Francisco, for example. To the extent it was still a misdemeanor, they stopped prosecuting them altogether.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/san-francisco-shoplifters-theft-walgreens-decriminalized-11634678239

In New York last year, one-third of all shoplifting arrests involved just 327 people who were collectively arrested and re-arrested a total of more than 6,000 times, according to the NYPD. To the extent they are making any arrests when they see theft happening, they immediately cut thieves loose and don't make the prosecutions a priority of any sort - they effectively have given up.

In that environment, of course large retail chains have an "ongoing narrative about cities and the people that run them," not for whatever you consider "pernicious," but because of an environment that is hurting their businesses.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sidewalk markets in poor areas? That’s a first. I’ve walked and driven through “poor areas” and never seen any dudes set up on a corner hawking jeans. You know where I see that? In midtown Manhattan, guys selling stuff that “fell off a truck.” This has nothing to do with poor people, at all. It has to do with organized theft rings who sell this stuff everywhere — Craigslist, eBay, Poshmark, whatever. And it has to do with the retailers overstating the impact of these theft rings so they could squeeze customers for a few more $$$. It’s along the same vein as the “increases” in reported crimes. Cities are dirty by their nature. Just because some jamoke tags a highway sign doesn’t mean society is near its breaking point.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Worth noting today a Japanese company bought US Steel.

6. The Big Ragu

Not knock off gucci bags.

Stuff stolen from drug stores and box stores. Every day items that people need. Deodorant, toothpaste, etc. Every major city has these places. ... the thieves know where to go to fence what they steal from the Walgreens or Target for immediate cash. The stuff then gets sold on the street. This has taken off in the last 3 years or so. Yes, it is mostly in poorer neighborhoods.

San Francisco cracking down on street vendors who sell stolen goods

https://nypost.com/2022/02/18/black-market-for-pharmacy-items-found-on-lower-east-side-in-nyc/

[​IMG]

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And if one of those foxes should, on being disturbed, pitch a bitch that results in some other hen getting hurt, guess who gets to foot the bill?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hence, your "lower" crime rate when we all (should) know it isn't. Easy to call yourself crime free when you don't prosecute.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Michael, we're bigger than Nippon Steel.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Regarding the bolded part: Wow! Just...wow. That is an incredible statistic.

11. The Big Ragu

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

As I tell my wife regularly, either do something about it or quit bitching about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted