1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Two years ago my policy was a bit over $1,500.

Last year it was $1,700.

For my renewal at the end of the month, it’s rising to $2,150. I’ve shopped around to see if better rates are out there, and they aren’t.

I’ve had no additional points on my license. I’m a much tamer driver than I was in my younger days.

I drive a 2017 Civic, ffs, not a heavy-duty pickup.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

USAA crushed me with a rate hike last year, but they also have the app to install on my phone and monitor phone usage while driving - and they score you and there's a policy discount associated.

It knocked 25 percent off my bill this year.

maumann likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I drive a 2010 Civic, so this may not apply. But check the weatherstripping around the windshield and doors to make sure it is not rotting or peeling off. If so, you’ll either have to replace it or live with road noise and wet seats and carpets after heavy rains.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention that. I just bought a 2009 with incredibly low miles (<17K). It was owned by a snowbird who just kept it outside and was only around about a month or two each year. But the sun baked the paint and some of the panels. Dealer freshly painted it before making it available and replaced some of the panels/weatherstripping --- but not all of them. Still waiting on a couple of window panels to arrive. Dealer said they should have arrived by midweek. :mad:

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Norfolk Southern laying off 7% of management and staff. What happens when hedge funds own your business.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Norfolk Southern isn't "owned by hedge funds." It's publicly traded and has broad-based institutional ownership. The largest shareholder is Vanguard (via its mutual funds), and it only has around an 8 percent stake in the company.

FWIW, Union Pacific just did similar layoffs. ... and it isn't dealing with the $1 billion Norfolk Southern has forked over to deal with its Ohio accident.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Friends, I’ve been in Vegas for the past week. Based on my observations, the economy is doing well. Also, fucking $60 for a burger and fries from Guy Fieri? Fuuuuuuuck.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Geezus. It must because I live in the sticks, but I have a 2012 Civic and 2020 CR-V and combined I pay $1,600 a year.

Everything seems cheap after paying for car insurance as a 21-year old male, though. That was like $2,000 a year in 2005. I shudder to imagine what that costs now.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Credit Card Debt Is Up—and It’s Taking Longer to Pay Down

That story was from two days ago.

What you saw is economic activity. ... but it's not a healthy economy. What defines the economy doing "well" shouldn't just the facade of spending (predicated on growing debt). That has never ended well in history. America doesn't produce much of anything, which is what actually feeds a healthy economy that is sustainable.

There is going to be a limit to all of the government debt and consumer debt that is feeding the gross domestic product growth people focus on (which makes no sense if the idea is that you want a healthy economy, not just a growing economy that is a house of cards). We're at the point where we don't even get good booms when we play that game.

Financial conditions are way too loose (why a market should be determining the price of money, not a price fixer) when we can keep running up that much debt layered on top of all of the debt that already exists. In a free market, the lending door would have closed up already.

I'd just caution people to be careful what they wish for. Credit card spending is just a drop in the bucket of the growing debt fueling that global "economy," but it's an easy proxy to point out. And credit card spending in the U.S. has increased fairly dramatically over the last 3 years and balances are growing, as that article points. Put simply, consumers are spending more than they take in. Is that really the economy doing well?

It's not a problem as long as people aren't defaulting on that debt they keep adding. ... but with interest rates ticking up over the last few year, even though they are keeping financial conditions loose to try to offset it and prevent a disaster, defaults have been ticking up (even though they are not at the levels yet that are going to wake people up). This was a chart in that story.

I think we're walking a really dangerous line -- yet again.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Capital One hates me.
    I am a convenience user to the highest degree. The paint is worn off the edges of my card (which will change with my next one because you mostly tap these days). Everything I buy goes on my card, and I get my 1.5% cash back.
    I get paid on the 17th of each month at 7 a.m., and by 7:01, the card is paid off, and we start over again. I never carry a balance. I don't know that they've ever gotten a cent in interest from me.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I really miss getting points from using my debit card. That ruled. So I just put everything on my 2 percent card and pay it off.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I get 3% back for online purchases, 2% for gas and 1% on everything else.

My card recently decided that phone and internet/TV count as online purchases.

All told it works out to about $400 cash back per year, $0 interest paid.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted