1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

If the world's best recovery isn't good enough for voters, they will turn to the very stable genius who spent much of his time trying to de-fraud de-bank.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'll amend:

"Economics: the Dismal Vibe"

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I still think you mean "Bidenomics" :)

I did misunderstand. ... I thought you were saying something about it being a feeling, not something tangible.

4. The Big Ragu

Americans are ‘doom spending’ — here’s why that’s a problem

The interesting part to me isn't that in the Americans are spending more than they take in. It's that we don't get the stories about what is enabling that. In debt markets that aren't price fixed, lenders would be much more careful given the inevitable default risk. That credit wouldn't be available to people in a free market environment, and people wouldn't have the option to behave recklessly. But when those debt markets are hijacked and politicians misprice the cost of money for their ends, we get new terms like "doom spending," even as millions of people have found their budgets squeezed, have no hope of ever buying a home, can't save, etc.

5. The Big Ragu

6. The Big Ragu

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For the past 30 months I've spent more than I've taken in. But two cars, a new roof, a new HVAC system and new water heater will do that, I guess.

Hope the major stuff is over for awhile.

Inky_Wretch and Driftwood like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago I laid out the saga of trying to buy a new truck. Toyota has decided they have new trucks for sale while Ford is still pounding its pud.
    I won't get it until the end of Feb., but I reserved a new Tacoma TRD Sport today. I'm excited. It should be my forever truck. If I needed an omen headed to the dealership, I passed an 80s model Toyota truck similar to one I once owned. It was going strong. I honestly don't expect to live another 30 years, and if I do, I won't be driving. If so, hopefully my new truck will still get me where I need to go.

SFIND, TigerVols and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Some acquaintances from central Pa were over and observed how the depressed, former anthracite coal town of Shamokin, Pa. has one-room apartments for $1,200 a month -- because that's what so many of the populace on federal and state assistance can afford. Meanwhile, you can buy a decent house there for $25,000.

MLB HoFer Stan Coveleski was from Shamokin and as a 12-year-old worked in the mines 70 hours a week for 5 cents an hour.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I’ve read where that’s just good business. The people putting up the capital for that mine were the ones taking the real risks. Those kids wanted to work.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

"I've heard"

Draft saved Draft deleted