1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There’s an E6 living two houses away from me. Not sure how much he pays but I know his landlord, a Marine, usually lists at $2,500/month. That’s for a 3BR/1BTH.

It’s just him, his wife and an infant. It’s kind of crazy how much the equation changes with multiple and/or older kids. They take up so much more space.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Just checked with b-i-l: He lives in the heart of Crystal City "a block, block and a half from everything." His rent, including parking, is $2,400 a month for a one bedroom apartment.
    He's a retired O6 who is a current defense contractor and writes off the rent as an expense because it isn't his primary (or even secondary) residence.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Here’s one way to afford a house in a hot locality - go small. 400 square feet!

The Great Compression

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There’s an amazing line from that story. “Divorced. Divorced. Really divorced.” that made me laugh out loud Sunday morning.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw something a while back. ... Lennar was doing a development with really small homes and they were essentially marketing the development like a trailer park. Which made me wonder about the construction itself, but I never really looked closely at exactly what they were selling beyond the fact that they I think they were homes for $200K and less.

Let's say it's a $175K home. ... if they are selling new construction at that price with where costs are now, I'd be really suspicious about what I was getting, quality-wise, development wise. ... putting aside that you're getting only a 600 square foot home, for which there is always going to be limited demand.

At the same time, I get why there might be a market for them, with so many people being priced out of anything else. People are desperate.

The big potential problem is. ... what if there is a multi-decade housing bubble of epic proportions that grew because of distortions in the credit markets due to rates being fixed for so long. ... and the people who created those conditions are forced to let it finally fix itself and correct the mess they made (with the pain that will entail)?

If that happens. ... the demand for those homes will crater and the values could drop from even $200K (or whatever they go for). That would be an even bigger relative hit for the kinds of people buying those homes than the kind of person who was able to afford to buy a $1 million home. They'll take a hit, too, but demand for their type of home might hold up better, and unless they leveraged themselves way beyond their means to put themselves in that home, the relative loss they will take won't be as significant to them as the relative loss is to a person who had to scrape together everything they could for the tiny home and doesn't have any cushion.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It’s not all that different than what company towns had. The town I live in has hundreds of identical 800 sq. ft. homes that Westinghouse built for its workers in the 1950s before they split town in the 1980s.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That Times article references the homes in Levittown, which isn't far from where I grew up. The original Levitt homes were 750 square feet, built for GIs coming back from WWII, but by the time I was growing up and had a bunch of friends living around there, most people had doubled the size of the homes, adding a floor or pushing out into their lot.

From what I understand those are $500K to $750K homes now. It's convenient to Manhattan, an easy commute to Penn Station by train, and location drives real estate prices. But still, if you are familiar with the area and the type of home I am talking about. ...gosh, it feels like the world is upside down.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul says New York businesses have nothing to worry about, that they were only going after Trump.
    Maybe it's just me, but doesn't that make this whole thing even more of a legal atrocity by saying they singled out a political opponent for prosecution?

https://nypost.com/2024/02/18/us-ne...sinesses-that-follow-the-law-gov-hochul-says/

Meanwhile, in related news, there's talk of a trucker boycott on taking loads to New York City.

Trump-supporting truckers stage NYC drive boycott after $350M legal hit

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If that MAGA boycott goes like previous ones, truckers will carry a record number of tonnage into New York.

dixiehack likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The guy, "Chicago Ray" has apparently walked back the New York trucker's boycott.

No comment from Ray's, Famous Ray's, Famous Original Ray's or Original Ray's.

maumann likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That’s not what she said. Read what you quoted again.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted