1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Insurance paid for the new roof?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

About one-third of it. Hoping for more, but starting to lose that hope.

Speaking of which . . . a roof I had put on my house in Charlotte in 2013 cost $8,000. This one cost $26,000. As I said, other than Aldi, there's no escaping inflation's stranglehold.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Walmart across the street has better prices and selection than Aldi.

So why go to Aldi?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Walmart has better selection, for sure, but rarely better prices for my stuff. Prices aren't all that different, in any event.

But Aldi has the 15.3 oz. box of cereal I like (for $1.98 if on sale, $2.19 if not). Can only find Family Size everywhere else. So when I need cereal, I go to Aldi and then get a few other other staples while I'm there. If Aldi stopped selling the cereal, I'd probably go there less often. It's also much quicker to get in and out. It's a hell of a hike at Walmart from the pet food (back left corner) to the breads (front right corner). Pushing a cart in which at least one wheel is always compromised.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

A case of Miller Lite costs me $9 less in North Carolina than it does in Tennessee. You know what I don't give a shit about? The price of a case of beer because I'm going to buy it anyway and die some day. But between now and then, I'm going to drink beer.

Inky_Wretch, Dog8Cats and wicked like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Family Dollar and Dollar Tree will close 1,000 stores | CNN Business

I don't know where we are in terms of economic cycle - but the 401k story and this one, and people maxing out their credit cards makes me think the "consumer demand" period may be nearing its end.
    The tick up in inflation this week likely due to higher gas prices, they've jumped .50 a gallon in the last month.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Family Dollar and Dollar Tree

Does the rise of Dollar General not get any credit for further increasing the problems those chains are having?

three_bags_full likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The lion's share of inflation for the past few months at least has been "shelter," housing costs. Problem there is that many people are happy with increased housing prices as it means their own home is worth more money.

Draft saved Draft deleted