1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

About a half mile from where I work, within the last month they've completed and had a grand opening of a Dollar Tree/Family Dollar joint store... across the street from a Dollar General.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've never understood that. UNLESS you live in a hopelessly overpriced market WITH THE INTENT on selling and moving to a cheaper part of the country, your home price increasing is of little tangible value. Insurance will cost more; property taxes will cost more. Unless you're an example cited above, you'll just be putting that money back into another place that also increased in value when you move --- in addition to the $30,000-$50,000 cost of moving (real estate commissions, fees, movers, etc.).

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

For a lot of people, their home and/or land is the only investment they've got. It's what they hope to leave an an inheritance to their kids.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Thought this was an interesting look at where costs are rising and where they aren't. Can definitely vouch for the car insurance rise. Just ridiculous.

[​IMG]

garrow likes this.
  5. BTExpress

That settles it, then. Time to fly somewhere, rent a car and play with toys.

That's fine, but I don't think that's what Gee was getting it when he (correctly) pointed out people's joy at seeing their home prices rise. By and large, they think THEY'RE getting richer and will enjoy this windfall. Only if they live in select places and do other things.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Lots of people doing equity cash-outs too. And refinancing used to be big too until interest rates finally came up from the basement.

7. BTExpress

I linked this article a few weeks ago, but this paragraph just knocks me over.

https://money.com/more-americans-leaving-inheritances/

No generation in history had the kind of head start that's underway and will continue for the next two decades.

What that means for inflation I can only imagine in horror.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Seems a whole lot like "some other thing" as in "crime" is a good excuse rather than saying it might have been a bad investment for myriad reasons. As has been noted, the crime stats don't back it up.

Also, Westfield (as of now) isn't pulling out of the Oculus, which is right next Fulton Transit Center. So close it's connected. So crime is bad at one place, but across the street it's fine.

It might just be the Oculus is getting more foot traffic.

As a side note, the Oculus if a fucking eyesore and awful in just about every way, IMO. It's like commuting and shopping on a charmless planet Krypton.

wicked likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I hope my check to the funeral home bounces.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

while not the only investment I have, this is a driving factor in the potential decision for us to head back to Alabama.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Saw it in my neighborhood growing up. Almost everyone cashed in as soon as they could when it became a trendy place to live. Some held on for much longer than others, which meant they got a real big check.

The house was these folks' "pensions," for better or worse.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The you'll have stiffed your kids. Or other heirs. They're getting paid by someone, trust me.

Pre-paid funeral/cremation costs. Do your family a favor.

Draft saved Draft deleted