1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The amount of research Dollar General puts into selecting sites is pretty amazing. If there aren't X number of people making above Y salary, but below Z, within a certain radius then they don't build.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Dollar General stores clone themselves.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Did your father start out with a house he inherited? If not, you had a head start compared to his generation. And your kids will have an even greater head start compared to your generation.

Think of a typical middle class kid growing up in the Bay Area or some other uber expensive place.

They'll graduate, go to work, probably struggle to make ends meet at first --- especially if they choose to stay in that area.

Then one day they inherit a $2 million home. Which they could keep, and not have to worry about sky-high mortgage or rent. Or they could sell, move someplace cheaper and have a seven-figure bank account before their 401(k) is barely warming up. All because they had parents who lived in scorching real estate market.

That $72 trillion is not going to just the wealthy.

What other generation has been so blessed?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Until recently the best food value anywhere was a 20-oz. Coke for a dollar at Dollar stores.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Paid $3.50 the other day for a "Mexican" Diet Coke in our building. WTF is a "Mexican" Diet Coke if there's no sugar in it?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It does the job American Diet Cokes won't do?

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Are there chains left in America that don't do this?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Diet Coke is blended differently in various countries and some say they can perceive a difference in taste. I can not taste the difference, but imaginary or not, a market exists for the Mexican variety. My Mexican born wife used to go to the Hispanic supermarket and there would be Mexican Coke products on sale.

9. Inky_Wretch

Probably not.

I get amused when locals complain about "another bank branch" opening here or there. Like US Bank or Arvest or Wells Fargo doesn't do a shit ton of research before building something!?!

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Yeah, Wells Fargo sure did a shit ton of reserach before surreptitiously signing loan customers up for auto insurance, its account fraud scandal, as well as fraudulent behavior against its foreign exchange currency trading customers. And a $3.7 billion federal fine for accidentally deeming many customers to have negative bank balances. Oh, and money laundering and funneling cash to Mexico through fictitious accounts.

11. Inky_Wretch

That’s not the real estate arm. And, frankly, I think there are only a couple locations here. I was just naming banks I drive past on n the commute.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We went from zero to a half-dozen Chase branches here in the last six months. All of them freshly built. I don’t believe they bought anyone out to enter the market.

Draft saved Draft deleted