1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm not changing my bank so my jury is out with Chase, but the bottom line is they seem super-eager to expand. About 20 years ago the joke was "a Chase on every corner like Walgreens" and truth be told, it's a good race.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

oh look predatory uber and lyft throwing tantrum and abandoning Minneapolis over city-mandated driver pay increase to minimum wage.

5. BTExpress

Seems like a heck more than minimum wage, since . . .

A 20-mile, 30-minute trip to the airport would net the driver more than $43.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How much is left after vehicle expenses?

7. BTExpress

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The drive time wage has to be higher than minimum wage to account for the driver’s idle time waiting on the next trip.

9. BTExpress

And it is. I gave an example of what a driver would make for a 30-minute drive. Assume 30 more minutes for waiting for/getting to the next passenger, and you're at $27-$35 per hour under the Minneapolis regulations.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Where is that etched into the rules of the universe?

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For years Uber and Lyft rides were subsidized by VC funds. They kept fares artificially low. Now fares are going up and customer service is going down. Bad recipe for the ride-hailing firms. Anecdotally, it seems like more people are going back to taxis.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Taxis and cable TV…the wave of the future!

Draft saved Draft deleted