1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You can get yourself into Yankee Stadium for less than $25 most games, but the new stadium (which isn't new, but I am old as fuck and grew up with the the old stadium and miss it) is set up as a "haves" and "have nots" experience, with a dividing line separating the riff raff (who should seriously consider bringing the hubble telescope with them to watch the game).

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess whether it's a sporting event or a Taylor Swift concert, some people always will be happy to pay for the "experience." But actually seeing the event (without binoculars) is still No. 1 with me.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's three hours of highly intermittent - dare I say rare! - entertainment. And if some kid spills a soda that attracts flies and bees from God knows where, there's the bonus of watching spectators scatter.

4. The Big Ragu

In the old stadium, if you were at the top of the upper deck, you were far. ... but it was way more intimate, and you felt like you were at the game. It was fun experience, for me at least. In the new stadium, I am not going unless I am sitting below the "have nots" divider.

My favorite seats at almost any ballpark are upper deck behind home plate, actually. Some ballparks, though, you feel like you are on a platform watching from the moon, whereas in others, you feel more a part of the ballpark. It's not necessarily the distance from the field. I am not sure I will be making any sense to anyone else, though.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Taylor Swift was awesome with the giant video screens! It was just like being there!!!

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I saw a girl do the shot put in her Crocs yesterday. You could tell she’d been coached up though, because she had the heel straps down.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I once saw a high school kid run barefoot in the state cross country meet.
    The rules said he had to start the race with shoes on, but didn't have to finish with them. So he had his laces untied and 10 or 20 yards past the starting line he kicked them off. I saw his coach wandering out to pick up the shoes and asked him what was going on, and he laughed and said, "Yeah, he just grew up running in the country and that's how he does it."
    IIRC, the kid finished in the top 15 which made him all-state.

8. BTExpress

Eh, he probably tripped the favorite.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

Carlow: Two jailed after using body to claim dead man's pension

They dragged a dead guy into the post office to claim his pension.

What do these geniuses say on their first day in prison when they ask what they're in for?

11. BTExpress

Didn't do it. Lawyer screwed me.

2muchcoffeeman and swingline like this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Unless it changed this season, the Angels do have a box office. I know they did last season. I live 10 minutes away (when it's not rush hour) and it was super easy to go any afternoon, and buy tickets with no fees for any game the rest of the season. They are costly, but no fees.

Incidentally, I noticed on The Athletic website, all team-oriented stories have a line and a link at the bottom to buy tickets.

Draft saved Draft deleted