1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I thought this would link to an Onion story … but no!

And a friend of mine who was a big Red Lobster/endless shrimp fan told me the key to getting your money’s worth was to avoid the cheddar biscuits. Go for the shrimp pasta if you need carbs.

garrow likes this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

This guy’s fault

I Should Coco, garrow and Batman like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a little (actually a lot) different. Fortress actually owned (and gave themselves a juicy management contract to milk the corpse dry) Gannett. That was through their business that does private equity.

In the case of Red Lobster, I am pretty sure Fortress has no equity and never has had any. Red Lobster hburned through a series of owners, changing hands like a hot potato, and it's currently owned by a Thailand-based seafood company called Thai Union Group.

Fortress is a lender to Red Lobster, through it's credit / lending business. They are like a bank on this. The purpose of a Chapter 11 is actually to get Fortress to negotiate a hair cut on the money Red Lobster owes them.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    Hermes likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Maybe instead of charging $11 for the AYCE shrimp or whatever, Red Lobster can charge $21. I have an Asian buffet in my county (not close) that's very reasonable nd worth a meal every few weeks.

This stinks to high heaven of an excuse to file.

wicked likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They started charging $20 and increased it to $22 and then $25, I believe.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When's the last time you've gone to a Red Lobster? I rarely go, but my mom wanted to go there for her birthday in February. There is nothing cheap on that menu, unless you want to go to Red Lobster for a $15 cheeseburger, which doesn't make any sense. With tax and tip for two people with no booze, it was $114. Sure, we splurged a bit and got one of the surf and turf options, but most entrees were $25 and up, so it was probably some of the better value there.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Growing up with cheap Midwestern parents, I never saw the interior of a Red Lobster after 4 p.m. or whenever the lunch prices turned into dinner prices on the menu.

Twenty-one cocktail shrimp and making the waitress go back for four baskets of biscuits for $1.99 on the kids menu was a bargain.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seriously!?!

I've not eaten at a Red Lobster in probably 20 years. But the one here always has a decent crowd in the parking lot. (I've always assumed it was full of regulars at Golden Corral or Texas Roadhouse who wanted seafood that night.)

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was stunned at the prices. My mom upgraded her steak to a filet, adding another $8 to the tally. Didn't care, it was her b-day and I was trying to treat her, but still ... If you want actual seafood, you're not getting out of there for less than $55 pre-tax/tip.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

If you want actual seafood, don't go to Red Lobster!

maumann, I Should Coco and swingline like this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I agree. There was a Red Lobster near my hotel in Charleston, S.C., once, and I couldn't fathom how anyone in a city like that would go to a shitty chain for seafood.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Red Lobster should have used this promotion for its shrimp.

[​IMG]

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted