1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Right, but his friend doesn’t repair ice cream machines. He does ice makers. So he wouldn’t quite have the insight you were looking for.

If you are ever in flyover country, Sonic isn’t a bad choice for burgers and dogs, although that doesn’t do much for a vegetarian like you. Pretty decent desserts though and they do great things with fountain drinks and mixing flavors. And the limeaids rock.

Batman likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Either that or Journey-jacks.

3. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

I did a grad school turn in CoMo, and beyond the college experience I was exposed for the first time to Walmart and Sonic. Of the three of us -- me, Sonic and Walmart, Walmart was the biggest success. Although at the time I thought Sonic might win out.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He already has ... it's the grease-ency heuristic.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Sonic for tots and limeades, and nothing else. Their burgers are shit, and I don't eat hot dogs (except for stadium dogs).

McD's doesn't serve ice cream. It is an ice cream-like substance, but it isn't ice cream.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

We like Scream Truck, a bespoke by-appointment ice cream truck in northern NJ. The soft-serve ice cream is really excellent.

7. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Bespoke you say? Sounds elitist, and yet my kind of soft serve. Do they offer a waffle cone, perchance?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It’s served on avocado toast and is the reason young people can’t buy a home.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

IMG_5937.jpeg

I took this at a Sonic (fittingly enough) in 2017.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't even think there were any Sonics anywhere near where I am, but I just looked and there are a few. Around here, it looks like there are a handful in kind of dodgy neighborhoods, in Brooklyn and Long Island City. They are also scattered all over New Jersey between NY and Philly, which I drive a lot, but I don't remember ever seeing one, I probably just don't pay attention. I was clueless about what they sell, although I was kind of picturing burgers and hot dogs in my head.

I haven't eaten in a McDonald's in at least 35 years, but I have been in them. ... like taking kids there or stopping in with someone else on the road who wanted to get something. I don't think I could bring myself to eat anything from a McD's, not even a coffee or a salad. I just don't trust them to not take something simple like coffee or milk and turn it into a processed food that has no actual coffee or milk in it. ... or add beef tallow, and not say, to "enhance" the flavor (I am joking about this one, but only just a little).

dixiehack likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Tell them to leave me out of it!

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted