1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I can’t believe a service-oriented, sterling example of retail-as-it-should-be like Dollar General is struggling.

Hermes and garrow like this.
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Maybe DG is struggling because they have too many damn stores. They are everywhere, even in the middle of the sticks.

Liut likes this.
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Sorta like Casey's.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I have stock in the company that builds those stores does long term leases to Dollar General.
    Very nice dividend.
    Build more!

Liut likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The two Dollar Generals in my town of 16,000 sit 0.8 miles apart. I’m sure they could squeeze another one in between with a little effort.

Inky_Wretch, Batman and garrow like this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We have 17 Dollar Generals in the county.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

So people are scrounging for dollars…and not shopping at Dollar General.

That sentence makes no sense unless you’re terribly run.

Dollar General had a terrible business plan, built thousands of stores along rural highways, worked its one employee in the building to death for $12 an hour while its brand new stores descended into chaos and then blamed the consumer for not wanting to enter that Mad Max hellscape to buy things.

After running out the only grocery store in my town two years ago, and making me drive 12 miles each way to get fresh vegetables.

Fuck them.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When things stop working. ... They had a "terrible business plan."

So when business was booming on the back of how artificially overstimulated the "economy" was for a bunch of quarters, apparently they had a great business plan?

People are shopping at Dollar General. They are buying much less. So yes, people are more and more cash strapped. This is obvious from looking at all kinds of other things. And no, it's not that they have stopped shopping at dollar stores alltogether. It's that they are buying less overall.

Throughout 2023, business was booming for Dollar General, and those rural stores they made their focus were doing great.

As recently as earlier this year, their stores were still doing way better than things look right now, even if the handwriting was on the wall that the overstimulation of the country was winding down. ... they were reporting then that people were starting to buy less, even if they still shopped there. And they were starting with promotional markdowns.

What changed isn't that they suddenly shifted to a terrible business plan. That's Monday Morning Quarterbacking. What changed is that people who were buying a lot in their stores are not buying as much now.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This information will comfort me when we have an empty DG building in two years and a still-empty grocery store in a food desert.

It’s not DG’s job to look out for the communities it serves, simply to destroy them. The owners of the grocery store lived here. Their kids went to school here.

Devouring us whole and then calling us stupid for pointing it out.

I have to drive 24 miles to get carrots and spinach, but I deserve the lecture.

And then you’ll mock us for eating processed food, and wonder why everyone is so goddamn stupid compared to you.

Arrogant prick.

JC and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dude, despite the same old bullshit you are going to do, I’m not cheerleading for dollar stores or whether the world is better off for them.

I simply know that they cater to lower end consumers, their business was booming and now they are not seeing people buy as much as they were. You told me it makes no sense, because you extrapolated that people just stopped going to dollar stores, like they are still spending but taking it somewhere else. That’s what I am responding to. It’s clear that spending was robust for several years, up and down the spectrum of people. It’s equally clear that places that were killing it are no longer. Same deal with Home Depot now. All the stimulus checks from even people with home equity that turned into home improvement projects have run through. We are still overstimulated on government spending, but we got a serious sugar high that looks to be wearing off. It made prices soar, expanding the number of people on the lower end of the spectrum in this country, and now they are finding it very tough to get by. It’s just reality.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cal Turner, founder of Dollar General, has a net worth of $1.8 billion. Todd Vasos, current CEO, was paid $8.9 million in 2023.
    Just saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted