1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And I’ll be the guy who says $47 an hour is really not that much money for what they’re being paid to build.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ inflation calculator, $47 now is $11.14 in 1979. My dad worked in a rubber-belt factory in Springfield, Mo., in 1979, making … $11 an hour (which was top union scale at the time).

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hulu now wants $83 a month for its streaming service WITH commercials. Love to watch Only Murders In The Building, but that might be the tipping point because I don't give a damn about ESPN+ or Disney+. And I turn it off for the four months we're in Florida anyway.

Streaming is now just cable without the annoying all-day wait for the guy to come out with the box and coax. Still no way to order ala carte without a bunch of overpriced package deals I don't care about.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2024 at 7:03 PM
    SixToe likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I really wish I didn’t like live sports, because otherwise Pluto TV is all I actually need. We watch America’s Test Kitchen and the BBC content pretty much as background.

garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I would kill a hobo for a la carte channel selection on one (1) streaming network. The major networks, PBS, ESPNs, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, CNN, The Weather Channel and I’m good. (And Sunday Ticket.)

SixToe and maumann like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Haven’t seen a Hamburger Helper commercial in ages before now. Guess the recession is official now.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Cousin Eddie: I don't know why they call this stuff Hamburger Helper. It does just fine by itself, huh? I like it better than Tuna Helper myself, don't you, Clark?

Clark: You're the gourmet around here, Eddie.

I Should Coco, SixToe, garrow and 2 others like this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Daddy says I’m the best
    OOops, I thought I was on the political thread.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

SIR! I’ll have you know that “hobo” is entirely unacceptable. They are unhoused rail travelers!

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

(Whispers)

As the father of a five-year old, Hamburger Helper’s salt bomb and prep time during summer daytime Daddy daycare hits the spot sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted