1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Same. Our 2012 CRV with 145K is just getting broken in but I suspect we may upgrade it next spring because the safety and security gadgets in my Alfa are fantastic and I really miss them when driving our CRV.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My brother just had to turn in his leased Giulia. Heartbroken.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Online gamers (who get geeked up about anything digital). ... and a lot of people who may do, or are planning to do, things. ... doesn't represent a whole lot of utlity to people.

We can go around in circles. You may turn out to be right. ... there may be widespread adoption of digital tokens and other assets at some point.

At this moment in time? They represent a fraction of a fraction of a percent of global economic activity. And most of the applications people talk about don't really solve any problem. Let's say the Yankees released non fungible token tickets next year. ... 99 percent of people looking to buy a Yankees ticket aren't set up to transact that way. They won't be anytime soon. Just because someone creates a different technology doesn't mean people are prepared to (or want to) use it (or in this case, be burdened by it). At the end of the day, people want to see a baseball game. Tickets as they exist already allow that to happen. What is better about the mousetrap?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. TigerVols

Your brother is my kind of man. It's a helluva car and if he's like me, he's had no issues with the brand (I have a Stelvio...NOT a 2017, so I'm good. Knock wood).

5. TigerVols

Agree on all this; of course, we are as a nation on the verge of spending hundreds of millions on EV auto infrastructure that doesn't reflect the number of cars on the road. As for your specific example, an NFT ticket is a better mousetrap for the seller just as an art NFT is a better mousetrap for the artist...commissions/royalties follow the tickets as they are sold. Should the Yankees decide to give a discount to NFT tickets over standard e-tickets, knowing they'll still come out ahead with the resell commission, then everyone comes out ahead.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Did we discuss Rivian, the maker of electric pickup trucks that's worth $86 billion since its recent IPO? It has an order from Amazon for 100,000 vehicles.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree; the fundamentals to an old econ major like me point towards Tulipmania. I certainly didn't think that about tech in 2001 and still don't (my only worry about tech is that tech leans heavily on someone producing something and leisure time (gaming, social media etc.)

Now yes, crypto could be transformative IF it completely replaced currency. I'm not so sure, mostly because its unregulated.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know.

I think "I'll use this one imaginary thing to buy this other imaginary thing" feels like a fair representation of Information Age economics.

OscarMadison, Mngwa and wicked like this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you want to create a third-grade narrative you can just as easily come up with, "The main reason gas prices are so high is that U.S.-based E&P / shale producers are refusing to increase production, because <insert your reason>."

It's a bit more complicated than that narrative.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I have a few imaginary things. Not much, it goes up it goes down, it's up right now. I don't ever expect it to really be anything but if it becomes the next Bitcoin, you bet your ass changing those imaginary things into real money

Azrael and TigerVols like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted