1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Hell, some of them are already getting rerouted to the Port of Houston.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

To a degree. But the infrastructure for distribution of Asian imports has for decades been built around Southern California and it doesn't make economic sense for importers to go elsewhere, even in a crisis.

MileHigh and wicked like this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not an expert, but I believe the Seattle and Tacoma ports have much less capacity than LA and Long Beach. Plus I'm not sure the transport is as easy from there once they unload.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yep, a lot easier to hop on I-40 from LA and Long Beach than the PNW.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not might. Those things do drive up costs of things. I said this often when Trump came in and immediately started with the tarriffs and immigration bullshit. Unfortunately, people get seduced by this notion that the purpose of trade is to benefit American businesses. ... when the stuff politicians do in the name of that works to the detriment of American consumers (and that includes American businesses, because the tarriffs hit the cost of their inputs). We are undoubtedly paying a price for the protectionism we've instituted.

That said, it's just one factor having an impact right now. The fiscal spending, and all of the debt monetization (money printing), has by far had the most effect in driving up prices. All of this is common sense. If it costs $1 to buy something and you double the amount of money in circulation, all things being equal (which is never the case, but still), it's going to take $2 to buy the thing.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the current screeching points on hate radio is that The God Emperor would just order the Navy out to commandeer the cargo ships, the Marine Corps into the ports to do the unloading, and bingo bango, supply chain problems solved in two days. So why doesn't Brandon get on the stick?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And if Brandon did so, they'd be screeching about a Commie takeover of private businesses. There's no satisfying these assclowns.

garrow, 2muchcoffeeman and dixiehack like this.
  11. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good question.

The administration has eased some (aluminum and steel), ignored others (China), and instituted some of its own (lumber).

Draft saved Draft deleted