1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Doesn’t Wharton imply the MBA program, President Yuuge Brain notwithstanding?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They have undergrads at Wharton, about 2,500 of them. In fact, the course that professor was referencing is a 1st- or 2nd-year course.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

She doesn't specify graduate or undergraduate - which is itself kind of interesting.

4. doctorquant

Yeah, but the course she teaches is a 1st- or 2nd-year undergrad course.

Azrael likes this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You should hear some of the first-years at my alma mater when they visit a family who really does live in a tar-paper shack.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    2muchcoffeeman and doctorquant like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Even if you grow up in urban poverty, rural poverty is still jarring.

FileNotFound and OscarMadison like this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Eh, whatever. I was surprised at first that recent high school grads in my town weren't taught about the three schoolgirls killed in the Birmingham church bombing. But then, I didn't learn about Medgar Evers until I went to college in the South.

Maybe I was absent that year...

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Four ... Oops.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Most elite MBA programs at elite universities that do not offer undergraduate degrees in business. For example Harvard, Stanford and Chicago have prestigious MBA programs but do not offer undergraduate business degrees. Wharton does a very large undergraduate program so a degree from Wharton does not imply an MBA..

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just located the student who thought the average worker makes $800K a year.

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and doctorquant like this.
  11. doctorquant

The undergraduate business degree has put food on my table for many a year, but I've long argued that, accounting notwithstanding, even in very good schools it's a waste of time.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What does the typical degree require them to take?

I am assuming there is accounting, finance and marketing for starters, maybe stats, various econ courses, maybe business law?

Is it a waste because they end up surveying a lot of things rather than learning enough about any one thing?

Draft saved Draft deleted