1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

irrational exuberance

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FWIW, my Peloton has broken twice. They came out to fix it the first time and now it’s doing it again but I am going to keep riding it a while longer until the Plus version drops again in price and I trade this OG in for it.

Hermes likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Welp.

Nevermind then.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Stock market is having a fun day. Well past time to shake the speculators out. Turn the money spigot off and the rats desert the sinking ship (although I'm still way ahead of where I was this time two years ago).

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This might be short-term capitulation, but we'll see. Nasdaq gave back 6 months of gains over the prior two weeks.

Here is the thing. Anyone looking for a fundamental reason for any of this is still clueless.

This is all the Fed and whether easy money and all the liquidity they pumped in is going to finally come to an end.

The Fed has signaled that after it finishes tapering the debt purchases (they should be done around March), we are looking at rate increases and possibly them not rolling over expiring bonds on their balance sheet, which is the equivalent of quantitative tightening (although they won't call it that).

So this is happening right now without them having turned off the liquidity spigot yet. We are still in the midst of loosest financial conditions in history, which is propping up a lot of things that are way, way overvalued.

Quantitative Easing since the financial crisis created the mother of all bubbles. Quantitative tightening, plus the rate increases, undoes that. So if they follow through to any degree?

We have been there 3 times, 2013 2015 and 2018, when the Fed gave all kinds of warning and then tepidly tried to extricate from the wall they have backed themselves into. Each time, when risk assets started to deflate, they came right back. Pure cowardice.

The reason that this is different. ... Inflation. They have stoked it with how much they blew up the money supply, combined with the fiscal spending that came on the back of their debt monetization.

If they reverse course again, they keep stoking the inflation problem. If they deal with inflation, they pop all the asset bubbles, and that is going to create financial instability, because there is so much mispriced debt out there due to them.

On top of it, we are getting economic data that suggests this isn't just runaway inflation. The economy is running slow. i.e. -- stagflation.

The markets, which have been conditioned to expect a "Fed put," don't know what to do. A lot of people running money have never seen a rising rate environment and what it does, let alone an unwinding of $9 trillion (or some portion) of debt purchases by a central bank.

This is going to be a very interesting year. Unfortunately, they recklessly put us in a place where there won't be good choices. I'm not even talking about the people who got sucked into buying dogshit stocks or NFTs or silly cryptocurrencies, although I feel bad for them. This has the potential to get very messy for the central banks.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    TigerVols and maumann like this.
  6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Regarding Peloton, you can buy a bike with two wheels that, you know, you can use to go places. No membership fee and it gives you a good workout.

garrow likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

BTW, there is a Fed meeting tomorrow and Wednesday that culminates with a rate decision @ 2 pm on Wednesday and then Powell flapping his gums @ 2:30.

A lot of tea leave reading goes on around their releases.

This one will be big.

If they back off the more hawkish language because of what is happening in equity markets, or Powell even waffles a little (true to form) relative to the more hawkish talk they had been throwing out as trial balloons (and what has caused this correction), markets will stabilize and probably bounce quite a bit.

If they are still signaling rate hikes and balance sheet reduction, or even somehow sounding more hawkish, you'll get the opposite.

It's really hard to predict. He wants to calm markets down. But the pressure to deal with the inflation problem they've unleashed on us means tanking the bubbles they blew. The strategy of hoping it magically goes away and calling it "transitory" hasn't worked.

maumann likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Dow was down 1,115. It's nearly in positive territory.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I blame the e-Trade baby.

10. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

In addition to the Fed, the price of crude oil and Russia/Ukraine tensions have added to market uncertainty. Crude has fallen about 3% from its YTD peak, so that's a good sign. Even with sanctions, oil is going to come out of Russia; it'll just have added costs tacked on for the producer and consumer.

Oil is what turns the global gears. If someone is looking for an inflation hedge, I'd look there. Anybody who took a position in XOM or another petrol giant six or 12 months ago is sitting pretty today.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Outing alert: maumann is Doc Holliday.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Buy the dips!

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted