1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I think that's very true, but this role has also made Whitlock a lot of money. At this point it's really all he knows.
    He always said he viewed himself as a Royko or Wiley v2.0.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can hear Ralph's laugh from the beyond....

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Is it making him a lot of money? It got him shitcanned from ESPN. Since then his gigs have just been to play Ed McMahon for racists and dirtbags. You’re not going to make much of a living off of five minute Tucker appearances. He has no actual following.

He doesn’t look like he’s missing any meals but I’m not sure there’s an income source there.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Who would be his following?

Sports fans? Most think he's an idiot.

White people? They don't know him, even the ones who watch Fox, from any other blowhard on a TV show.

Black people? From what I've seen they pretty much discount him.

Who would he matter to? If he went away, would anyone in two months or eight months or three years say, "Hey, where is he?"

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Royko moments after his stroke is still better than anything— anything — this guy has ever penned.

OscarMadison and Octave like this.
  6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

He gets to position himself in the center or in a contrarian slot for every hot-button issue of our times. Whether it's Jeff George or race/gender.
    And now like Royko (the only similarity) he has taken a more conservative bent in later years.
    Jason loved dividing in 1996 - he knows he was born for this shit that's happening now.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Ok, but... so?

Royko was the top columnist in Chicago for generations.

Whitlock is the host of something on The Blaze. Which means he probably qualifies for food stamps. Everywhere else dumped him long ago.

He doesn't get paid by the number of people who retweet him to say "Oh, this person is terrible!"

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Whitlock had a two-year stretch from about 2001-2003 where he was "edgy" and made a name for himself on Around the Horn and filling in for Jim Rome has been drafting off that heat for two decades. It's like a baseball player who has one good year and stays in the league for a decade based on that season.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Black Jay Mariotti despite his attempts to be the Black Skip Bayless.

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I don't presume to know much about his career but was he not asking for pieces of ownership with some of these moves?
    At least the one with Travis he did. That lasted as long as a 10th-grade romance.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

This fucking guy is still around?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted