1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final days of McDonald's?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Oct 16, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I give up. What does that have to do with fast food or McDonald's?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wrong link. Corrected now.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

All-day breakfast was clearly the primary driver of the quarter,” Steve Easterbrook, McDonald’s CEO, told investors on a post-earnings conference call. “We knew it would be.”

Golly, Steve, then why didn't the company do it 30 years ago?

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Was Steve in charge 30 years ago?

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yes, he founded the company and has been there from the start.

:rolleyes:

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So six weeks ago McDonald's was teetering on the edge of disaster, now they're pumping out money like Shamrock Shakes.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I just wonder if all-day breakfast is a novelty thing, a temporary boost.. In any case, it's a good bridge to longer-lasting changes the company needs to make.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I heard at least 3 talking heads on TV say the same thing yesterday after they announced their earnings. Is it a novelty thing? As in, you went into McD's and got some eggs in the afternoon after they announced the all-day breakfast, just because it became an option, but are you going to keep going back for that, or will the novelty wear off? I have no idea. I haven't stepped foot in a McD's in decades.

Regardless, from the company's perspective, that was a heck of a quarter. They have spent several years, where they sheepishly were releasing earnings and trying to get through the conference call as quickly as possible. Yesterday, they were acting downright victorious. I don't know that business, but I do know that generally in business, it can be a bad idea to try to be something you're not. And I think that is what McD's fell prey to for several years. They saw these "higher end" chains selling more expensive food that is supposedly better, and McD's tried to copy. And it's just not what McD's is. I think the new CEO took a step back and took stock of what McD's actually already does well. It may not be a killer growth strategy, but it certainly stopped the bleeding for the time being. What they were doing just wasn't working.

I Should Coco and Brian like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted